SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What 3 things would you never sail without? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/91025-what-3-things-would-you-never-sail-without.html)

melody1204 08-16-2012 12:13 PM

What 3 things would you never sail without?

Here's a question for everyone!

What are the 3 things you would never leave the harbor without?
Let's assume that you have a boat, and that your boat has the necessary equipment to actually sail. I mean more along the lines of external things such as sailing gear or "extras".

Go!

~Melody

Vacilando | This is the story of two people, a dog and a journey. We'll choose some article almost certain not to exist and diligently try to find it.

BubbleheadMd 08-16-2012 12:16 PM

Re: What 3 things would you never sail without?

1. Beer
2. Beer
3. Beer

Ok, I kid...

1. Good foulies
2. Some kind of access to live weather reports.
3. Tiller pilot, or at least a Tiller Clamp or Tiller Tamer.

DRFerron 08-16-2012 12:19 PM

Depends on where you are sailing, how long, how far, under what conditions. I think the question is too open-ended to answer.

jfdubu 08-16-2012 12:31 PM

1) A plan
2) A back-up plan
3) A clue what to do if 1&2 fail.

I can sail without foulies, beer and rum. I may not like it but believe it or not it can be done, life goes on.

I did leave out the obivuos, a chart, compass and life vest. Those are given.

melody1204 08-16-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 910407)
Depends on where you are sailing, how long, how far, under what conditions. I think the question is too open-ended to answer.

Let's assume you're not crossing an ocean, and you're going out for a daysail, overnight sail, something simple. It's kind of like asking the "if you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 things..." question. Answers can be serious or fun. Just getting a conversation started! :)

Melody

Vacilando | This is the story of two people, a dog and a journey. We'll choose some article almost certain not to exist and diligently try to find it.

flyingwelshman 08-16-2012 12:37 PM

1. A good book
  2. Guinness
  3. spare reading glasses

DRFerron 08-16-2012 12:52 PM

Must haves:

Paper chart and tools
Marine radio
Food/water

Don't need but won't guarantee a continued good mood/adventurous spirit after the first 72 hours without:

Books
iPad (Not for connectivity; almost all of my magazines and journals are digital subscriptions)
Non-electronic writing tools

nolatom 08-16-2012 01:23 PM

I teach, so with the students in mind:

1) extra "vintage" foulie jackets, even of a clear day (it is a sign of respect to the Weather Gods and must not be omitted, or else..)

2) Sun goop and hat (we are in south Louisiana, it's hot enough without getting sunburned)

3) A can or two of Canada Dry ginger ale with "real ginger". I've recently been convinced by these forums and actual experience with students that it helps a queasy stomach (and hence the rest of you) feel better. Then we may not have to go in early, but we will if you don't feel well, it's good docking/undocking experience.

Capt.aaron 08-16-2012 01:33 PM

Day sail... beer, bri, and bread.
Actual SAIL, 1. a bunch of packages of new cotton boxer breifs and white t-shirts.
2. extra fouly's so I'm not wearing the same pair for a week.
3. a new addition is a SPOT. wife insist's. I used to sail in to Guatemala on Wed. and call Friday. now she know's the moment I arrive.
My list from 10 years ago was a whole lot different! Oh how we evolve and mature.

melody1204 08-16-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.aaron (Post 910436)
Day sail... beer, bri, and bread.
Actual SAIL, 1. a bunch of packages of new cotton boxer breifs and white t-shirts.
2. extra fouly's so I'm not wearing the same pair for a week.
3. a new addition is a SPOT. wife insist's. I used to sail in to Guatemala on Wed. and call Friday. now she know's the moment I arrive.
My list from 10 years ago was a whole lot different! Oh how we evolve and mature.

The SPOT is awesome, isn't it? Unless of course, you don't want your wife to know where you are every 10 minutes!

As far as the underwear, have you checked out the fast-drying underwear from REI? You can just bring 2 pairs. Wear one, wash one. They dry in almost no time and are super comfortable (they have them for men and women). Saves a lot of space.
Men's Underwear: - Quick drying at REI - Free shipping on orders of $50 or more

Cheers!

Melody