Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelmir View Post
I'm a new owner of a 44 foot sailboat in Boston, MA and I see that winter will be coming too soon.

I'm wondering about the practicality of extending our use of the boat by bringing it (or having it brought) down to Florida and what the implications of that might be.

I'm not to the point of taking out the charts and studying the currents. I'm more wondering how would I manage the boat down in Florida being a resident of MA. What are the tax implications and what permits/licenses do I need to acquire? I would plan on bringing the boat back up before hurricane season next year (at least that would be the plan, maybe Florida is just so awesome that I will want to leave it down there but that would remain to be seen).

The 6.25% Massachusetts taxes has been paid, so I'm assuming that I don't have to pay additionally in Florida since their rate is only 6%. But I also assume that I'm wrong about that.

I read somewhere that if your local rate was less than the Florida rate you would have to pay the difference to Florida but I assume they aren't fair minded about that and won't give me a 0.25% refund.

I do see that I'd need to update my insurance policy.

I assume I will have to register my dinghy in Florida as well or else leave the outboard at home. If I did that would I really need two sets of registration numbers on my dinghy? It already has MA plates.

I guess the second step is to figure out where in Florida to base it. The boat draws 5'10". The Keys look nice, but it might be more practical to base it farther north. Recommendations where and why would be welcome. I think I'm partial to the East Coast of Florida, but other than the additional trip of getting to the other side I don't have a good reason for that preference.

Once that is all figured and if it makes sense. The third step would be to plan the trip. If I went ahead with everything I would most likely hire an experienced captain who has done this before and he would provide the plan.

If I was allowed to retire and just take off sailing I would probably just keep going once I got to Florida. So a hired captain would be good in either case.
If you need encouragement, I say go for it! If you have the time, just meander down the ICW. You should have the books recommended in the posts above. When you need to return home occasionally, park your boat in a marina, fly, drive or Amtrak it back for a while. After you spend your 3 months (say Nov, Dec, Jan) in Florida waters, slowly make your way back North, stopping in each state along the way and enjoy the seasonal spring awakening in each state. By the time you get back home (say May) you will have had a great adventure, spent possibly $10,000 m/l and barely notice the cold Massachusetts winter has passed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

skelmir, the thought occurs to me that Florida is perhaps the only state in the union that does not have a State Defense Force or State Militia. Something about the concept being totally alien under Spanish law and that's where Florida came from.

So, if y'all want to bring down a couple of regiments of the Massachussetts Militia, there's nothing to stop you from steamrolling through the whole damned swamp, putting down some good yankee concrete, annexing the whole shebang and then your MA registrations will be all you need.

You know, with November coming up, we could all use a good distraction.
Old 08-22-2012

skelmir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
skelmir, the thought occurs to me that Florida is perhaps the only state in the union that does not have a State Defense Force or State Militia. Something about the concept being totally alien under Spanish law and that's where Florida came from.

So, if y'all want to bring down a couple of regiments of the Massachussetts Militia, there's nothing to stop you from steamrolling through the whole damned swamp, putting down some good yankee concrete, annexing the whole shebang and then your MA registrations will be all you need.

Bringing down a regiment of anything is going to take more than one round trip. But invasion by sailboat certainly appeals to my viking heritage.
Old 08-22-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Those African Rock Pythons in the everglades eat steamrollers for breakfast. Ponce de Leon may have brought some initial concepts to Florida, but now the population has retirees from most of the northern US and Canada as well. I retired here (from W. PA) and forgot to register my boat right away. I finally remembered to do it about 6 months later. Florida also has a great many retired Military residents and has several bases as well.
Old 08-22-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelmir View Post
Yes it's probably not the most practical use of both time nor money. But it's more exciting than sitting up on the hard plus this way I get to sail to Florida.

Next year when I'm older and wiser I'll most likely agree with you.
It's not clear to me how much time you actually foresee spending down south over the course of the winter, but...

If you're not limited to commuting back and forth, and can spend more of your winter on the boat, I'd suggest heading for the Bahamas, rather than just hanging out in Florida...

There's no comparison, IMHO, and once you've paid your $300 to get in, no one over there is gonna give a damn about dinghy registration, or any of that sort of crap...

In any event, if you are gonna sail that far south, seems really a pity to just stay in Florida, and not make it over to the Bahamas...