SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Florida or not?

7K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  JonEisberg 
#1 ·
I'm a new owner of a 44 foot sailboat in Boston, MA and I see that winter will be coming too soon.

I'm wondering about the practicality of extending our use of the boat by bringing it (or having it brought) down to Florida and what the implications of that might be.

I'm not to the point of taking out the charts and studying the currents. I'm more wondering how would I manage the boat down in Florida being a resident of MA. What are the tax implications and what permits/licenses do I need to acquire? I would plan on bringing the boat back up before hurricane season next year (at least that would be the plan, maybe Florida is just so awesome that I will want to leave it down there but that would remain to be seen).

The 6.25% Massachusetts taxes has been paid, so I'm assuming that I don't have to pay additionally in Florida since their rate is only 6%. But I also assume that I'm wrong about that.

I read somewhere that if your local rate was less than the Florida rate you would have to pay the difference to Florida but I assume they aren't fair minded about that and won't give me a 0.25% refund.

I do see that I'd need to update my insurance policy.

I assume I will have to register my dinghy in Florida as well or else leave the outboard at home. If I did that would I really need two sets of registration numbers on my dinghy? It already has MA plates.

I guess the second step is to figure out where in Florida to base it. The boat draws 5'10". The Keys look nice, but it might be more practical to base it farther north. Recommendations where and why would be welcome. I think I'm partial to the East Coast of Florida, but other than the additional trip of getting to the other side I don't have a good reason for that preference.

Once that is all figured and if it makes sense. The third step would be to plan the trip. If I went ahead with everything I would most likely hire an experienced captain who has done this before and he would provide the plan.

If I was allowed to retire and just take off sailing I would probably just keep going once I got to Florida. So a hired captain would be good in either case.

See less See more
#2 ·
Technically, if you're in FL waters for more than 90 days you pay an annual use fee, which did not cancel out our registration in our home waters. ($85/yr for our older 33-footer). They're used to snowbirds like us.

You are correct in understanding about sales tax. We were able to prove that we paid sales tax when we bought the boat in Michigan and FL did not ask for any additional $.

#4 ·
Florida's rate is 5% the 6% plus they charge actual goes to the County and varies by County from 6 to 7 percent depending. So u are good with the sales tax already.
Over 90 stay requires a use sticker which is just a way to get you in there with your tax reciept. There are no Yearly Property Taxes on Boats in Florida so it might be to your advantage to switch the boat here.

There is no additional trip to the west coast at least one or two Banana Republic Flights come to Tampa from Boston every week.(<== sarcastic tongue in cheek comment).

West coast is Cheaper for dockage and has more cruising grounds.
East Coast has St. John's river area which is nice but I have only been there once for a fishing tourny.
The Gold coast/South Florida has Biscayne Bay but shoal draft is better there.
Too much Concrete over there for me.

#5 ·
"Do you have enough free time, and spare money, to be going back and forth often enough to make it worthwhile?"

That's a valid point and partly what I'm trying to figure out. Once I get a better idea of the costs involved I'd be in a better position to decide if it made sense. Although I don't know all the details yet. I'd willing to gamble one winter than spend the rest of the winter wondering what if. If it turns out to be impractical and I'd just be better served by bareboating then I can do that instead the following year.

#6 ·
Dear Skelmir, new places that you go in Florida are priced differently depending on your location. I am located in the gulf of Mexico Panama City. However I am a delivery Capt. and have traveled the East Coast and West Coast extensively.the cost to you can be directly related to where you want to stay.I have found that the East Coast of Florida south of Jacksonville is expensive compared to other areas as far down as the keys. As you travel north on the West Coast( Gulf of Mexico) the prices become more relaxed North of Tarpon Springs,as well as the enforcement of tax laws. many people keep their vessels in the gulf Coast area because of that reason. If you want to move your vessel every 90 days you can remain in compliance in South Florida. Hopefully this will help you to make the decision that fits your needs....Captg

#7 ·
I have a freind who sails down in Dec. from R.I. to work in key west through season and in april he sails back up. Every year, back and forth. I think he does it in 14 day's staying outside. He just keeps his R.I. reg. current and that's it.

#9 ·
So the costs are going to be insurance, mooring/slip fees, maintenance, and the costs of the trip back and forth itself. In addition to flights back and forth to use the boat as well as possibly a rental/hired car to get to the marina/mooring field.

The boat draws 5'10", can motor about 8.5 knots and has a 52 gallon tank. There is deck space and some storage space for additional fuel. In what time range would you expect a delivery to take from Boston? To Jacksonville? The Keys? And Tampa? Is 5'10" too deep for the Keys?

Probably make sense to stage the boat in NC end of October and bring it down to Florida sometime after that?

Too many questions for one post so I'll leave it at that.

#12 ·
That is some deep draft for the west coast of FL. You'll be somewhat limited if you bring her here.
Not to discourage you but Fl is not really that awesome except being able to sail all winter. However, you will NOT want to sail in summer (June -October 1).
The Keys.........after awhile, they all seem the same, shallow water too. I'd say that around Jacksonville on the St Johns River is your best option in FL.

#13 ·
I'm an FL resident on the northern gulf coast...I think a draft of 5'10" is suitable for the FL west coast...there are some shallow areas but they can be avoided. The above poster is correct, July through September finds numerous thunderstorms - almost daily - with light winds from the south/southwest...at least up here in the Panhandle. However, I still manage to sail most every week during this time. As for the use tax...I would imagine that is pretty lax up here as well..although cannot say for certain.

#16 · (Edited)
Key West is the most sailboat freindly place in Fla. by a long shot. the weather all year, the infrastructure, anchorages, moorings, facility's, it's true the key's all seem the same after a while....the same awesome place to be. Every time I go anywhere else, I'm reminded of how much better life is in the Key's.

#17 ·
From a different perspective....just some food for thought.

The time to leave from Boston to get to Florida is fast approaching..and you could miss some good fall sailing at home.

If you want to get out of Winter and still sail...Take the money that you'd use to hire a skipper and all the added expense of use fees, slip fees, added insurance etc...
And Charter a sailboat in the BVI this winter.

Keep your new baby at home under your watchfull eye..and break out the charts for Maine...
Just saying...you've got some of the best cruising grounds on the entire eastern seaboard right in your backyard....I'd enjoy the fall at home...take a Winter trip to warm weather...and cruise up to maine..when it thaws out up north.... my 2 cents for what it's worth...

In any case..congrats on your new purchase!

#19 ·
From a different perspective....just some food for thought.

The time to leave from Boston to get to Florida is fast approaching..and you could miss some good fall sailing at home.

If you want to get out of Winter and still sail...Take the money that you'd use to hire a skipper and all the added expense of use fees, slip fees, added insurance etc...
And Charter a sailboat in the BVI this winter.

Keep your new baby at home under your watchfull eye..and break out the charts for Maine...
Just saying...you've got some of the best cruising grounds on the entire eastern seaboard right in your backyard....I'd enjoy the fall at home...take a Winter trip to warm weather...and cruise up to maine..when it thaws out up north.... my 2 cents for what it's worth...

In any case..congrats on your new purchase!
That makes sense.

#20 ·
Then again, if sailing is the objective, sailing back and forth to FL/Bahamas will get you plenty of that. Isn't it snowing in Maine yet? Here in the Adirondacks we only have two seasons: The 4th of July and winter.:D

Reactions: skelmir
#22 ·
I Love the Adirondacks...for many years, I would only go in Winter to backpack and camp.
I used to call Spring...mud season...and you had to pack too much..
At least in Winter..I new what to expect...and..I didn't need to worry about keeping food cold.....back to the regularly scheduled program

#21 ·
We were still very new to sailing the first time we sailed to Florida for the winter and had a great adventure doing it, so much so we are still doing it. We have sailed both the ICW and hops on the outside. If its a dream go for it.

Reactions: kwaltersmi
#23 ·
If your vessel is 30 years or older, then you can register in Florida as an Antique Vessel. I just recently found this out, and now instead of paying $87.50 per year, I am charged $4.95. It is funny that I pay more now to register my 8' walkerbay dinghy ith 2hp outboard.

As for numbers, I have read that there is a way to keep your out of state numbers, but still register your vessel in Florida. This is ment to be temporary for those staying a short term.

It may be better to document the vessel. That way you don't need to have the registration numbers on the vessel. Documentation is a one time cost, the regular renewals are free. I am surprise a vessel your size is not documented.

That said, I kept my sailboat (5.4' draft) in the St Pete/Pass-a-grill area of Tampa bay. While the area is nice, I now keep my sailboat in Carrabelle, Fl which is across the big bend at the start of the Gulf Itracoastal waterway. I personally think the sailing here is by far better than the Tampa area. But the area is more rustic, so if you want an area which is overly developed, then this part of the FL panhandle would not be for you.

#36 ·
It may be better to document the vessel. That way you don't need to have the registration numbers on the vessel. Documentation is a one time cost, the regular renewals are free. I am surprise a vessel your size is not documented.
The boat itself is documented but the dinghy is registered. So I was wondering if I needed FL registration numbers on the dinghy in addition to the MA registration numbers, but apparently I only need a FL sticker next to the MA sticker.

#27 ·
skelmir, the florida dmv has a web site and answers the phones, you might want to contact them directly. Anything with a motor must have a registration on it, so if you have a dink with an outboard--it also will need to be registered.

Anything with a motor that stays in Florida more than 90 days, needs a FLORIDA registration as well. They've got an oddball rule for boats, you can keep your home registration and pay for a florida registration as well, and not have to change the primary registration and title.

Your insurer may have some objections to keeping it in Florida during hurricane season, and moving it from one home port to another will probably change your insurance price as well.

Other than that? You might want to install some dorades or solar vents, because anything closed up in the florida heat and humidity may get real nasty, real fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.