Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012

dikigoros is on a distinguished road
Trailering a Pacific Seacraft 34

I am new to Sailnet. I am ready to buy a Pacific Seacraft 34. My cruising area is the San Juan's but I live in Oregon. A PSC 34 is about #13,200 with a 10' beam. I know there are law governing trailering a boat with a beam over 8', and I have read trailer manufacturers who sell trailers for 34' sailboats (Triad for example). But has anyone really trailered a PSC 34 or similar sized boat a distance of 200+ miles? I have a great heavy duty diesel truck that is rated for the weight. But how realistic would it be to take a boat this size to the San Juans in May of each year and bring her back to Oregon in October of each year? Any advice or stories would be greatly appreciated. Dikigoros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Trailering a Pacific Seacraft 34

Easy trailer it all over

not so much and high stress

Ordeal

Myself and a friend move are boats spring and fall and it's always nerve wracking at best and that's with a SKILLED PROFESIONAL calling the shots*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 08-17-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

I think the solution most people use for a craft that size is to leave it on the hard at your Marina or Boat Yard for the winter and just have it moved a few yards to the water in the Spring. What is the huge cost of the massive custom trailer going to do for you?

I have moved my share of big stuff around professionally over the years and my advice for something that heavy and awkward is to let the riggers do it.They have the equipment experience and insurance for it. Think about your liability if a 14 thousand pound boat fell on a public highway...removal cost would bankrupt you.
Old 08-18-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

no way - we have our own insurance specifically for moving boats, monster trucks, monster trailers, monster hoist

We do not move any boat over 8,000 lbs ourselves off the shop premises

We do not move boats over 5,000 lbs more than 150 miles

Commerical Trucking is cheap
Old 08-18-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

It's not really the weight of a boat that is the problem with moving it yourself, it's the size, oversize permits, insurance. Why would insurance be any more than any other large trailer? Has anyone actually investigated this before dismissing it out of hand? Even small trucks have GVWs over 13000#. My heavy duty pickup has a 9500# GVW. It seems to me that a 10 ton flatbed could easily be set up with a steel frame to hold a particular sailboat, especially one like a Pacific Seacraft that can sit right on its keel. I have thought about this myself for my A35 which is a very similar hull design but have not put it on the front burner yet. It would be really nice to have the boat right at home to work on it rather than at a boatyard. Don't give up the idea. Do the research into it and let us know what you come up with.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-18-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-18-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

If your are set on trailering get a Dana instead
Old 08-18-2012
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

There was a guy in our area who used his F-450 pickup and an adjustable trailer. He sold his services for doing JUST what you are talking about. He only did point A to point B though, no launching (HOIST?)... so it could be done... I found the same trailer the guy was using used for $8500, so it's possible.

I personally have a Chevy 2500 HD, geared for towing. I regularly tow #12000 (horse trailer 30 feet long) with the truck (rated to #13800). So a 3500 could do it for sure (equipped right). Right trailer, blah blah.

SHNOOL <- whose 9'2" wide boat is only 8'5" when it hits the road, gonna be hard to convince the troopers of that at 10' wide... honest! Just kiddn.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 08-18-2012

sck5 is on a distinguished road

I have a boat just about that size and had to move it from Tennessee to Chesapeake Bay when I bought it. It is a major effort to unrig, ship and rerig the boat. No way in hell you want to do that every year. It would be cheaper just to put it on the hard.
Old 08-18-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Why not just sail it up??
Old 08-18-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

People do all kinds of stupid things with a pickup and a trailer so just the fact that the guy "up the street" does it does not mean he is insured to do it. With no sliding bed trucks or cranes , big fork lifts I doubt strongly that he has rigging insurance.

What do u think will happen if it falls on a 4 lane road.
You have to pay for all the cop overtime for a start.
a real rigging crew will have to come out at emergency rate
There will be no end to costs fines etc.
Oil , Diesel on the Road ...Hazmat trucks will have to come.

IT goes on and on like a nightmare. Goodbye house/bank account/piggy bank.

Of course other posters will say I am full of it but it is what it is. I don't make the rules.

Also as far long time storage on a trailer. IT requires a very good fit or u end up will hull warpage. I have seen it on light weight power boats. My first sailboat I made from a kit.
IT was built on the trailer that came with it. 27 foot swing keel 5hp well ob little sloop.
The windage on that going down the road was bad enough. And rigging it was a PITA so I left it rigged in a field at the marina with the powerboat on trailers.

The only up side is u save a few hundred bucks over storing on the hard.
Hardly seems worth it.

Last edited by ParadiseParrot; 08-18-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.