Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: Need helping pondering the idea of a job

ive asked ppl i have a gig setup in the fall doing a few mooring with a local that does them for people. He also dives and such. And ive bin doing the lawn cutting, the snow blowing, the reasturant gig i wanna work on the water. ive done moorings before winterizing and de wintrizing i do my own and my neibhors for free. i was thinking making taking it up another level now.
Old 08-18-2012
Huck

I would need a skiff that pretty much all i would need the rest i can do by hang no fancy gadgets or pulleys for a litle while till i could afford that.
Old 08-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

You will need to be knowledgable as much as experienced. As the professional, you would be asked about various products on the market, size chain required, shackles, pendants, how big a boat the mooring will hold, etc. You should also be familiar with how you get a new mooring approved, how many local codes allow and where, etc. Education is key to success.

Then you need all the things mentioned above.

If you know how to dive, you might consider hull cleaning, but learn to do that right too.

Final business advice for the day. Use your head, not your heart to make this decision. Once you're open for business, let your heart back in the equation and be the best on the Bay.
rugosa likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2012
Huck

well hopefully next year i will be able to get certifited to dive i really want to but mostly so i can do mooring inspections and hull cleanings then i can make money doing a variety of things on the water.
Old 08-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you can't dive yet, there won't be much call for mooring services. At the least, they need to be inspected below, if not maintained. It's a great skill to have and could open a few doors. Spend the money on good lessons and get certified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-18-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Actually getting certified in diving could open a whole wealth of marine/marina related jobs for you...

Rather than be burdended with a barge and non working winch... get the certs and equipment and hang a shingle....

Be ready for "on call" crab pot removal, bottom inspection, eyeglasses retrieval whatever...
Old 08-18-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Short term, be honest with your customers. Tell them you have no insurance, using borrowed or cobbled together equipment, but you are a hard worker and will stand by your work.
Long term, maybe next year get better equipment, get insurance and add more services.

Longer term, you may need to take a chance and hire someone just like your younger self.
Old 08-18-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

To be perfectly honest with you its REALLY difficult to even employ anyone one under 18 years old as the restrictions on what there allowed to do and when are pretty tight

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 08-18-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

while I admire your tenacity there is ALOT of aspects.

1. You mentioned a barge. You will need to be a certified captain if you plan on pushing that thing anywhere.
2. Diving. In my area marinas and companies are requiring commercial divers for work as their insurance will no longer cover scuba divers
3. Insurance. My policy for all my diving, Ship husbandry, dock and bulkheading, salvage and moorings is around 35k a year.
4. Insurance. My insurance company only insures surface supplied hard hat
5. Insurance. There are only 3 companies i know of in the US that covers commercial divers
6. Moorings. You are gonna need to be able to lift and move those moorings. You might be able to get away using lift bags ( which can and have killed divers ) for the lighter stuff. But get some of the 2500 lbs that I have lifted and now your talking a crane and operator.
7. Diving again. Alot of divers have been killed by become fouled and running out of air. I suggest if you want to dive as a career become commercially certfied and avoid scuba unless you only plan on doing hull cleanings.

Moorings are simple yet complex. The right size and payout of mooring chain is essential, as are shackles and shackle mousings with proper bridals. Be prepared to be on the chopping block when something goes wrong with that mooring and a boat breaks free. Your fault or not, YOU were the one hired to ensure it was safe so you will need to prove your work by means of recorded video feed. Every job I do I record and save it on an external hard drive. You never know when someone will point the finger at you and you need to be able to stand your ground and back up your work.
Old 08-18-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

Also, be prepared for a huge payout for materials. I get a certain percent down for materials but moorings arent cheap some of my jobs have been 1000 plus dollars for the chain alone. Again I dont mean to burst your bubble but I would start slow. Unless you have a huge amount of capital to start with and customers lined up I would work for a company for a few years before starting your own thing. No offense but a small boston whaler isnt going to cut it for that type of work. You will need to lift moorings to burn chain, swap out, weld etc etc. and unless you have an underwater welding setup and an underwater Broco burning rig your going to have a very hard time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.