Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road
Re: Need helping pondering the idea of a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Short term, be honest with your customers. Tell them you have no insurance, using borrowed or cobbled together equipment, but you are a hard worker and will stand by your work.
Long term, maybe next year get better equipment, get insurance and add more services.

Longer term, you may need to take a chance and hire someone just like your younger self.

What happens when something bad happens though? The owners arent going to chalk it up as a learning experience. Their insurance company will want to know who did it and his insurance companys info. Since he wouldnt have insurance well then i guess hes paying out of pocket for any damage. I pass off work all the time that isnt worth my time to smaller guys but I have an agreement with them and I make sure to see proof of their insurance. Dont have it? then move along because if I pass someone work that isnt insured and botches a job up they will be coming after me because I referred them and I should have known they didnt have insurance. Didnt happen to me, but a close friend of mine. He learned the hard way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

If he is just winterizing (his second post) and not moving moorings then it is a relatively low risk activity. Diver I would agree with you that as the services expand to include greater risk he should get insurance, and comply with whatever licensing requirements the local municipality requires.

But initially this is an informal economy activity until he can grow a customer base to support a formal business, and expand services to include relocating or installing moorings.

When he gets to that point it is time to take some small business courses at a Community College.
Old 08-18-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I'd expect the market to be saturated in Rhode Island, and hard for someone new to get a piece of the market without cutting prices to the bone. Getting the word out and stealing customers from the competition can be harder than it seems.
Old 08-18-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I'd guess you are about 20 years too late.
From what I saw in the NE, the mooring thing is well covered and some folks are making very big bucks doing some pretty hard, dirty and very dangerous work.
NOT FOR THE NOVICE!!!!
Old 08-18-2012
Otter

Why hire a company that is limited to only one task? My point being that most people would hire a company that can handle all the aspects of mooring maintenance. In all honesty most people around here winterize their own moorings themselves and the bigger ones, say 2500 lbs are hauled from the water unless otherwise arranged . The correct way is to start working with someone and slowly build your arsenal of tools, gear and equipment. Borrowing those items wont get you very far and people in the maritime industry are few and far between who will lend or lease someone gear. As far as the diving portion is concerned I cant stress it enough, people continue to get hurt or die because no offense, but they are usually scuba divers who are working commercially that have no business doing so. Im not trying to make myself sound like superman but it isnt something you can just jump into like say a painting business. Its not rocket science but it does take skill knowing the size of the boat, the weight, the swing radius, other boats in the area, the lay of the seabed, new innovations and recommendations for customers, being able to maintain the mooring by cleaning it usually by pressure washing underwater, the tidal change and flow, storms, preventative maintenance and repair, not just saying well the boat is X weight so X amount of mooring should work. Do it right by working in the industry and paying your dues. I am always more than willing to help people out because not many people wanted to help me in the beginning. Ive made alot of mistakes with a heavy learning curve and lost alot of money in the process because i got in over my head but i learned some very valuable lessons in the long run. Smallboats, If I can help you out in any way feel free to give me a shout on my mobile. I may not tell you the answers you want to hear but they will all be the truth. 732.664.2979.
Jgbrown likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DivingOtter; 08-18-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Couldn't agree more with what Diving Otter just said. Well except to add again that I know you can find the shift key Huck, and the outcome of using it will be wonderful.
If you're serious about it, make some plans, maybe find a certification or some training that will make you more useful to someone in the buisness and learn from there.

I'm doing something like what he recommended right now. Realized I didn't know anything about fixing boats properly, found a job fixing them. Sure it means I spend a lot of time inside awful bilges kneed deep in oil and diesel to clean them for gel coat, and a fair bit of time cussing some people's love of using the wrong product(like silicone caulking) but as I pay my dues I'm learning a lot. As a bonus it gives me access to parts and supplies, and people with amazing skills to help with my boat, and I finally have a job I really love.
I'm all for jumping in with both feet, but not so much for jumping in head first. Getting paid to learn from someone else's decades of experience is worth a lot.

EDIT: If you're dead set on going your own way, why not start by offering a skill you might have already, like cut polishing, or small gel-coat repairs, or something like that. Find the small jobs that don't need much in the way of tools, and without a whole lot of liability, and work your way from there.
Old 08-19-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

good idea brown and i will see if i can get on the local mooring boat this fall.
Old 08-19-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Hey Huck,
If you start perparing your elegability for credentials now,( twic and OS status mmd from the Coast Guard) You could be a Merchant Marine by the time you are 18. Working on the commercial side of boating make's recreational boating simple. You could work on the water and have lot's of free time to enjoy sailing. You must be starting to think about furthering your education. Maritime Acadamy is one avenue, Crawling through the Hause pipe is the other, I say do both. But I agree with jgb. first, find the shift key, and do bright work. I know New Englanders like their wood shiny, so there has to be docks you can walk with a sander and some varnish. Can you do a three strand splice or tie a one handed bowline under water with your eye's closed? These are skills needed to be a mooring tender in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

no i can't splice yet but i and going to learn soon.
Old 08-21-2012
Otter

gotta walk before you run
Capt.aaron likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.