SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need helping pondering the idea of a job (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/91072-need-helping-pondering-idea-job.html)

smallboatlover 08-17-2012 08:59 PM

Need helping pondering the idea of a job

So I have had this idea people have told me to go for it but i'm iffy about it need some advice. My idea was to do mooring and mooring work for money. i wanna use this mooring dock/ bardge that was setup for it it has a huge crank on it but its frozen so i don't think i could actually use it. My question is should i try to do this? Take after this venture? i could probally replace the crank or just get rid of it i really don't even need it unless im pulling up mooring and if im doing that then i can get a eletric which for pulling. but for winterizing it would be easy to do with this.

PBzeer 08-17-2012 09:05 PM

Re: Need helping pondering the idea of a job

Have you looked in to how much demand there is for such a service? How much a license, bond and insurance would cost you? Materials? Your level of expertise? Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations?

Not to rain on your parade. I think it's great you want to start your own business. But there's more to it than just wanting to.

bljones 08-17-2012 09:14 PM

Huck, this is one of those rare times when PB and I agree.
That's gotta mean something.
Don't give up on the idea, I think it has the potential to be a great part time gig, but cover your bases and your ass by doing your homework. Pulling and plunking moorings can be a good spring and fall job.

smallboatlover 08-17-2012 09:21 PM

you need insuranse i know someone that does it around here that doesn't have it.

SeaQuinn 08-17-2012 09:47 PM

Most places that hire contractors to do work (like marinas) want them to be licensed and insured because if something goes wrong they don't want to be sued and responsible. Why not ask the places that would hire you to do moorings for them what they require from their contractors.

smallboatlover 08-17-2012 09:50 PM

maybe i could just winterize and de winterize them not pick them up and move them.

ParadiseParrot 08-17-2012 10:52 PM

From the response you seem to be a little lite on what you are going to need to do to start a business.
You need to have a bank account.
You need to have a license of some kind from the controlling government (town,county)
You are going to need insurance.
You are going to have to find out from whatever group (harbor master , ACOE , coasties)
that regulate moorings what the deal is for your service.

Is this stuff hard to do? No but it has to be done.

Who are your customers going to be.....what does it pay? costs? profit?
Do you have a plan? Are you a rigger? Have you worked for one?
How will you prove your competence to do this work?

If all this seems too much for you and u were just looking to pick up a few spare bucks then I suggest that Mooring Placement and inspection/repair might not be the right "side gig"

Good Luck.

sww914 08-18-2012 01:31 AM

The other guy's job always looks easy.
I built Porsche race cars. Sound great, doesn't it?

It f***ing sucked. I got tears in my eyes from frustration and threw up on the floor from stress all in one day. That was the day I decided to go cruising sooner and poorer rather than later.

HughIvar 08-18-2012 06:00 AM

Not to rain on your parade. I think it's great you want to start your own business. But there's more to it than just wanting to.

--------------------------
Bones Season 7 DVD
Sons Of Anarchy Seasons 1-4 DVD

Capt.aaron 08-18-2012 07:09 AM

Why don't you get a Lawn Mower, a rake and a snow shovel, That's what I did when I had to survive in the the harsh N.E. economical climate as a teenager . Then I got the bright Idea to wash dishes in a Bar/rest. I've never wanted for work as a barback and made a decent wage any where I went. If you are inerested in mooring work, ask the dude allready doing it if he need's a grunt, learn the ropes and build your level of experience.