Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW in a Nutshell

How hard do you want to work? Norfolk to Charleston, about 10 travel days of 50 miles per day. Add in weather, currents, bridges, and tourism, and you can make it last as long as you want. We figure about 3 weeks southbound in autumn for that stretch. About the same Charleston to Miami - luckily the farther south you get, the less you worry about the weather. Still, 6-7 weeks for a pleasant trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

When we went south, in 2003, we left Great Salt Pond near the end of October. I'm not sure of the exact date but I do know that we were in Elizabeth City, NC. for Halloween. We went to a wine and cheese party in the cemetery of the Episcopal Church that night. We arrived in Brunswick, Ga. November 25th. We made stops of a few days in places along the way to do the tourist thing. Places like Charleston and Savannah.
Brunswick is where we keep our boat. It's another nine days of travel on the ICW. Again there are some interesting places to stop, for example St Augustine. I would definitely recommend going outside at some points but especially from Lake Worth to Port Evergaldes (Ft. Lauderdale) to avoid the 21 bridges you have to have opened. At that point you will have to go outside again to get to Miami because the Jean Tuttle bridge I mentioned previously. Going outside gives you a chance to sail.
Most importantly enjoy the journey or it will be a bitch of a trip.
Old 08-19-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

I am guessing that there are some good places to go outside. Any recommendations? How long do you usually stay outside? Is there any anchoring or docking available outside or do you just sail through the night?
Old 08-19-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

There are plenty of good places to go outside. Any of the class "A" harbours like Charleston, Brunswick, Port Everglades or Miami are good. Whether it's an overnighter will depend on the distance and what the destination entrance is like. For example to go from Brunswick to St Augustine I would want to arrive in good light but from St Augustine to Brunswick I have arrived in the dark. There are places outside to avoid, Hatterass for example and places inside like the stretch from Lake Worth to Fort Lauderdale. Many people dislike the Ga ICW because it snakes through the marsh lands of coastal Georgia, the tides are large, anchoring can be tough and marinas are few and far between.
As far as I know there are no places to anchor once on the outside. You are after all in the wide open Atlantic. So before you venture out make sure of your weather window.
Old 08-19-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
The ICW navigational markers are distinguished from other navigational aids by a gold colored square or triangle on the signage. Greens have a gold square; reds have a gold triangle.
In a perfect world and in books, this is true. I have had reports from other forum members who live or boat on the ICW that not all ICW markers have the yellow squares/triangles.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-19-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQuinn View Post
I am guessing that there are some good places to go outside. Any recommendations? How long do you usually stay outside? Is there any anchoring or docking available outside or do you just sail through the night?
There are plenty of places where you can go outside. Maybe the biggest obstacle to doing so is the distance you must travel to get from the seabouy to a suitable anchorage -- in other words, the distance in and out. In many places, it can take a couple of hours to reach the seamarker. If you spend 2+ hours at both the beginning and end of the day not making progress, you won't make much progress on the "outside". On the other hand, there are a few spots that set up nicely for runs on the outside (Beaufort / Wrightsville, Cape Fear / Little River come to mind as good day runs on the outside).

One way to make some time is to make an occasional 24-30hr run on the outside. If you run outside for 30 hours instead of 8, you significantly lessen the impact of the time heading in / out and the number of possible outside runs increases greatly. However, you need to factor in the fatigue that accompanies coastal over-nighters - particularly if you are solo or 2-up, it may take you time to recover from short overnight trips.
Old 08-19-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The "Waterway Guide" is a very good guide-book.
[url]http://www.waterwayguide.com/publications

Last edited by Seaduction; 08-19-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Correction of website
Old 08-19-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Uhhh, given that query, I'd politely suggest you stick to The Ditch on your first trip south... (grin)

While I actually have anchored outside on a number of occasions, it's not something routinely done, and the conditions and location have to be pretty ideal...

Enjoy, it's a great trip... Here's one guy's take on it...

An Insider's ICW | Cruising World

Old 08-19-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Nice Link Article and Picture.
Thank You
Old 08-19-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Ditto on Active Captain. They seem to have a good list of problem spots. I just finished putting every one of them, from Norfolk to Beaufort, as markers in my plotter. There were 19 just from this section. I make text notations right on the charts so as not to need to wonder why I marked a spot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.