Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road
ICW in a Nutshell

can someone tell me where I can find out what the boat size restrictions are on the ICW.....from the Hampton area going south. What is the tallest mast size you can have? Draft?
How long does it take to I guess mostly motor a sailboat down the ICW to Florida?
Arenthere plentiful anchorages? How much planning needs to go into the trip....ie planning for bridge openings, currents, tides, anchorages etc.
Is there a site that gives this info?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW in a Nutshell

I've done the ICW many, many times. From when it was over 100 draw bridges to about 12 years ago.
Controlling mast height is 64 feet, period. That means antennas, windex, everything; 64 feet from highest high tide of the year (before global warming, of course).
We used to be able to carry 10 feet from Miami to Norfolk, but I hear that three is too deep in some ares of NC or SC, but that is in areas where you might be able to go out an inlet & back in farther down, but you will need local knowledge. We had a great time at Elizabeth city (they had specials for us delivery captains to entice us in to stay) but I have heard you can't get in any more & several towns have gone bust from shoaling.
Navigation in the ICW must be done as if you were captaining a tug drawing 10 feet pushing a 250 foot barge. The Corps of Engineers puts banks around the marks so the barges can't hit them. Stay away from the marks!
I don't know your boat's speed, but you can encounter up to about 6 knots of current in places. If you're slow, find a place to anchor until the tide changes.
Watching & understanding the buoys is very important. As you head toward a town, you have "red right return", but if you pass an inlet it can change to green on the right, BEWARE. Channels cross the ICW and that further confuses things.
I always use a highlighter to mark buoys as I pass as there are many places that look similar (some of my deliveries were SF boats & we did 35 knots!).
Anchorages are available, but you must see if you can make them in daylight. I'd plan a few marinas into your budget. How long? How fast are you? Remember, unless you've got x-ray vision, it's daylight only. I wouldn't count on the tide/ current tables being accurate, especially around inlets.
I've been all over the world, but consider the ICW from Ft. Lauderdale to Norfolk to be one of the greatest trips anywhere.
Good luck and I envy you; we're 73' high.
SeaQuinn likes this.
Old 08-18-2012

We are 58 feet high and can motor at 7 knots. I would like to plan a trip for late fall to Florida and then back again. I don't mind doing some practice runs to try things out.
We draw about 4' 8" so is the dismal swamp possible or not?
Old 08-19-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Some resourses that I would recommend are Skipper Bob books, "Marinas Along the ICW" and "Anchorages Along the ICW". The latter gives bridge information which you will require. You can order them on line at Home | Skipper Bob Cruising Guides On his site he also has waterway updates. Another resourse is The Active Captain here https://activecaptain.com/X.php which is an interactive cruising guide book and excellent if you have internet aboard.
With your specs you can do the Dismal Swamp. They close the canal from time to time because of low water so check before heading that route. If you plan to go as far south as Miami note that the Jean Tuttle bridge just north of Miami was designed by a dyslexic engineer and has only 56 foot clearance instead of the usual 65 feet.
bvander66 and SeaQuinn like this.
Old 08-19-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

I concur with everything above and will add that the Salty South East Cruisers Network is a very good source for current ICW conditions. Take the alerts posted as though you were getting the info from a friend at the dock, it may be current, may be outdated or may be that the conditions have changed since someone passed through the area. Check 'em out at Cruiser's Net
SeaQuinn likes this.
Old 08-19-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

The ICW navigational markers are distinguished from other navigational aids by a gold colored square or triangle on the signage. Greens have a gold square; reds have a gold triangle.
SeaQuinn likes this.
Old 08-19-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

We have done the ICW 4 times now, 6' draft and 50' mast, no problems.
Ditto on Skipper Bob and Active Capt, two of the best resources for this trip.
With your draft dismal swamp should be no problem, to make sure check with corps of engr before you depart Norfolk.
Couple of hints, don't religiously follow the magenta line on chart plotter, use the marks and read the water. Have a mike or handheld vhf in the cockpit, makes life easier for bridges/barges.
In NC, Ga there are some real shallow areas, but with the 7+'tides easy to get past if you play the tides.
SeaQuinn likes this.
Old 08-19-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

I'm starting to like this one almost as much as Skipper Bob's: Ľ ICW Detail OnTheWaterChartGuides It lists the anchorages but has a little less detail about them than Skipper Bob does, and makes up for it by including marinas, phone #s, helpful hints, and some stories about the places you pass through.
SeaQuinn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-19-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
The ICW navigational markers are distinguished from other navigational aids by a gold colored square or triangle on the signage. Greens have a gold square; reds have a gold triangle.
Adding to the above post; Here is a picture of how it works;
SeaQuinn likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 08-19-2012

Thanks for all the help and advice! I will definitely check out the guides.

For those who have done Norfolk to Miami.....how long should I allow for the trip?
How about Norfolk to Charleston SC?