Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SchockT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Armaflex source in Vancouver?

Anybody got one? I'm about a day away from just switching to using Ethafoam or another locally available closed cell since it will do just fine for the size of project I've got, but I'd really like to get some experience working with Armaflex so I know for future boats if it's the approach I'd like to take.
20' should be plenty. Looking for 1/4" and 1/2" preferably.
It'll be backing carpet along the side of the V-berth and back of the settees then vinyl everywhere else I won't regularly be touching lying in bed.

1/4" for the cabintop, 1/2 for the hull.

Trying to decide if I should line the hull under settees and behind them. Bilge is separate, below floor and fairly deep(Alberg 30)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Armaflex source in Vancouver?

All of the refrigeration/hvac wholesalers carry it.
I hadn't thought of using it for boat insulation! Even at my cost it isn't cheap! Armaflex
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 08-19-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Do you mind Pming me about a rough price if you have one? Might be able to work out a trade at my cost for some marine parts if you need them. The Dashews reccommend it, as do a lot of metal boat builders, I've found a lot of references to it, but a huge variation in pricing. One person found it varied from 3100(local hvac place) to about 13k(armacell direct price). The mold resistance(Microban, funny enough the only place I think it is actually a good additive rather than on all sorts of food products where it doesn't belong) coupled with the lack of moisture absorbtion and it's toughness.
Basically it seems like the do it once, and it's right option, no screwing around, no mold later. I'll be spraying a proper adhesive, and laminating it with vinyl/carpet before installing the panels I think.
I know it's more expensive, but insulation seems like one of those really critical areas to do right, a dry warm boat is a hapyp boat for me. The mold I found behind the crap the previous owners used really encouraged me on this approach.
I'm also thinking despite the price, it'll be a nice thing for the next owner of my boat, and I'll get some practice using it, since it may behave differently. My boss is very interested in it too, as a possible replacement for the usual foam we use, so I'm paying for an education for both of us at the same time, which makes the cost a bit more palatable.

Despite all the complaints about how sailnet is all about fighting these days, it's posts like yours that make me glad to be here :-) We might have different opinions on one aspect of boats and their uses, but it stays just that, a difference of opinion. Thank you very much for that. Made an aggravating night at my second job much more pleasant.
Old 08-19-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I'm sure we can work something out!

I don't know about Sailnet being all about fighting, but maybe that is because I only read the sailing related stuff for the most part. I hold no grudges with people who disagree with me as long as they are respectful about it!
Jgbrown likes this.
Hull#101