Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012

Zed is on a distinguished road
Re: Wifi on board

If you are worried about the 5Gb limit, you can always select a different plan. Verizon now has plans (shared data plans), that run from 4Gb to 20Gb.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012

melody1204 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
If you are worried about the 5Gb limit, you can always select a different plan. Verizon now has plans (shared data plans), that run from 4Gb to 20Gb.
That's great! I'll look into that. I thought 5GB was the max. Thanks, Zed!

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Old 08-20-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Note the GSM hotspots would allow you to change SIM cards if you hit your 5GB limit. If you hit your limit one month, you could activate a new SIM card and pop that into your phone or hotspot and keep working. For instance, the T-mobile $30 plan that gives you 5GB per month does not shut you down when you hit your limit - it just throttles you back to 2G speed. So when you hit your limit you could load up a second $30 card and keep going at 4G speed.

Unless you do a lot of video streaming or send huge email attachments, it's actually difficult for one or two users to use more than 5GB a month. You should also turn off automatic Windows updates (or whatever other computer OS) and do the updates manually when you have free WiFi access.
melody1204 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-20-2012

jhgreen is on a distinguished road
If you are worried abiut the limits of a data plan you can try what did. I have my hub from Tmobile they have Xgug at 4G and unlimited at 2 G granted it is slower but it does always slow you done. Have had friends playing online games via this for hours straight and no slow downs

Jeremy
Pearson 10m
Old 08-20-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

Good to know! I too need to be able to work from my boat. What is the best setup to boost the free wifi signals that I can get at the marina? It seems that down below I sometimes get a much reduced signal.
Old 08-20-2012

Vartok is on a distinguished road

I have been using a Verizon PCMCIA card for almost ten years. I have enough speed to stream music and video with no problems anywhere in the US. I also have unlimited data, but from what I can gather that plan is no longer offered.
Old 08-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I have been using the ATT wifi. It works awesome. 4glte really is (or seems to be) broadband speed and 46 is a bit slower than dsl but doeable.

Let me caution about Verizon as they may not have the same coverage in the keys as ATT. THat was why I did not go with them.

Brian

PS My cost is $50/month for 5 gig, plus $10 for every gig over.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

BTW, here is my recent thread on this:

Wi-Fi

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

This is where I plan to buy mine (probably tomorrow)!!

Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC

ALso, regarding the use of the wifi booster, my experience is that most marinas have WIFI, but few of them are actually reacheable from your slip. I would love to think I could use this on the hook, but reality is that I would just like to be able to use the marinas (which I pay for) from my boat!!! I suspect you will have the same issue.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-20-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

??? We have an Alfa range extender from Amazon, $25. We can see our marina's wifi, and the neighboring marinas, and the ones across the creek. Was a bear to set up, but once done, it's be fabulous for the last couple of years, down the ICW & Bahamas.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Tags
wifi