Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012

melody1204 is on a distinguished road
Wifi on board

First I want to apologize because I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum but I've searched the forums and while I've found some useful info, I still have some questions.

In the fall, Chris and I will be traveling from the Chesapeake down the ICW to Florida. I'm working full time from the boat - I work for a promotional marketing company (so if anyone needs swag, hit me up!) and I also run our organic clothing line (Happy 2be Here), AND I'm the webmaster for our blog (see signature). Needless to say, I'm on the internet more than I'd like to admit!

Since this trip will take longer than the number of vacation days I have left (and I'd rather save those for a week in the Bahamas), I will need to work full time during our trip, which means I need to be connected for at least 7-8 hours a day.

Here is the best solution I've come up with so far:
1. Get an omnidirectional wifi extender AND
2. Get Verizon card

Is this the only/best option to ensure connectivity? I understand that while under way, the Verizon card will be more practical, as the extender won't have continued signal as we move. I would still like to have the extender so that when we're anchored, I can try to get signal without eating the data on the Verizon card.

My second question is: when using an extender, are you only able to connect if you find an unsecured network? Does anyone have one that can lend any insight to this? Is it difficult to find unsecured networks? It seems that most people secure their networks now, so I don't want to spend $300 plus just yet on this equipment if it's only going to get me a useable signal every so often.

Sorry for the long post and for bringing up a likely much touched on subject, but hoping for some fresh views. Thanks!

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road
Re: Wifi on board

hello Melody,I might be able to help you out. Verizon has what is called a 4G hotspot this is a unit the size of a credit card and as long as you are within cell phone range you will have a very powerful WiFi unit that you can secure your self or share it with friends it will run up to six computers with excellent power. I have one I carry in my pocket I use it in the car when I'm visiting and mostly on the boat, I am amazed at the distance that this unit works. It cost about $200 but it is only $60 a month once you have it set up you can buy time for it at most any convenience store or you can reload it with your computer if your offshore. I hope you will be satisfied there are others on the market but they do not have the range, Virgin mobile as long as you in their a good-sized city it will work is only $40 a month there will be others out on the market soon....captg
Old 08-20-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

As you guessed, a Wifi antenna will get you more range, but you will be limited to unsecured networks. I agree with Gary that a 3G or 4G cellular broadband card is probably the best solution. Most providers have such a service. Here's a pretty inexpensive one recently announced by Net Zero.

Broadband Internet | 4G Mobile Broadband | DSL | Dial-Up | NetZero
Old 08-20-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Shop around before committing. There are many carriers offering 4G hotspots and/or tethering to a phone plan. You need to decide whether to buy a "plan" (2 year commitment) or go monthly. I strongly prefer the latter. WalMart has some exclusive deals that are sometimes a little better than elsewhere, so have a look there. I recently switched my cell service to T-mobile monthly plan - "unlimited" data and text, 100 min talk for $30/month. (I use Skype for phone calls above 100 min.) This plan is available at WalMart or Tmobile.com only. With an unlocked Android phone, you can configure your phone as a wireless hotspot on this plan if you don't get caught. T-mobile also has hotspot plans that are fully legit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-20-2012

kjzerr is on a distinguished road

Hi Melody:

My wife and I ran an online business from the road for 18 months while traveling the US in our motor coach (2009-2010). We used a Verizon air card and a wireless router to provide internet service to two computers (and a printer). The air card plugged into a USB port in the router. For $60 per month we had available 5G of data transfer. It worked well in most locations where Verizon Wireless cell service was available. It sounds as if the 4G Hotspot of which Gary speaks might be a "next generation" iteration of the air card. As with the 4G Hotspot, our air card cost about $200. Only once did we go over 5Gs of usage in a month, and we did a lot of volume, but consistently used 3-4Gs.

As far as wifi goes, my experience is that almost everyone secures their signal. However, more and more businesses are providing free wifi (Panera Bread, Starbucks, etc.). So, the wifi extender may be a viable option in certain locations, and it can certainly help to ensure that you don't exceed your 5G allotment.

Kermit
Old 08-20-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

I recommend you check out activecaptain.com, they have some articles which talk to computing aboard and they give some different options in a relatively unbiased mode.
Old 08-20-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We're also using a tethered phone - and have gotten signal almost everywhere the length of the ICW with the exception of part of central NC. But ... I'm only on for an hour or two at the beginning and end of the day. If you're on for 7-8 hours, check your data usage to make sure you don't exceed whatever plan you're on. svAuspicious (Dave) is a sailnet member here in Annapolis who's got lots of expertise in this area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-20-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

or use your landline?
Old 08-20-2012

melody1204 is on a distinguished road

Thank you, everyone! I figured the 4G broadband was the way to go - worried a little about exceeding the 5GB data limit, but can always find a way around that if I need to (i.e. checking and answering emails from my phone, which gets unlimited data and using pc just for my other purposes).

I'll check out the Active Captain thread and talk to some people mentioned above but based on the advice here and what I've gotten from people here at the marina, Verizon is my best bet. As always, thanks again for the advice and expertise!

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Old 08-20-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Get the Verizon card with the new share plan. We've been using it now for 4 years on our 3rd generation equipment. We also have the cellular booster (not WiFi booster) and we've been able to connect up to 10 miles from shore. We work off our boat too, so internet connection is a must.

Tags
wifi

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.