SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hurricane is a comin, now what???

6K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Leocat66 
#1 ·
OK. I'm currently on my way down to my Coronado 25 in Key Largo, FL from NJ, trying to outrun the weather.

My current dockage agreement basically kicks me out if there is a hurricane watch or warning, which means it looks like I'm out. I'm located at Garden Cove on the Atlantic side. Waves are going to be building fast so I'll have to make for a hole ASAP. There's no way for me to leave before Friday morning.

I'm thinking of pulling the mainsail, booting the jib, pulling the solar panels. Then I'm going to motor for Largo sound. I would take it around the bend, then South near Card Sound road and triple anchor in 10 feet of water with about 100 feet of rode on each.

First storm for me as a sailboat owner. Can't lie, poopin my pants thinking about this.

Thoughts, advice?

#35 ·
If you tie up in the mangroves you'll need to get back on the boat as quickly as possible after the storm passes or someone else is likely to help themselves to anything you leave on board. I know this from experience.

#36 ·
Yeah, that would certainly be my concern, as well... Especially in that part of the Keys, no shortage of shady characters in that neighborhood...

Wish I'd seen his initial post earlier, I would have strongly suggested he head back up the bay to somewhere between Miami and Lauderdale, further from the projected track, and no shortage of far better options up there...

#38 ·
Waiting for Issac. Well, it seems like it is our turn again here in Slidell. We live just off of Lake Pontchartrain and are debating on leaving again. "ROSA" is secured behind our house in a small waterway with 1" lines to large pilings on both sides holding her about 15' off of our dock. Considering taking a bow anchor out also this morning, by dingy, while it is still possible. Hoping for the best.

#42 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. First off, Serenity is safe and sound. I sailed her back to her slip, none worse for the wear but for an American flag that gave its all and will be properly disposed of.

Second, My prayers and best wishes to those now in the new impact zone.

Third, I ended up on the Pennekamp mooring. They were very welcoming and understanding of my concerns and fears. After some discussion with a park officer, they permitted me to set one anchor as long as a I used one of their moorings for primary hold. I tied up to the mooring and dropped my 55 lb overkill anchor with enough line for a 15:1 scope, but left it very slack. This way It wouldn't be used unless the mooring failed. When I got back to her today, they only charged me for one day on the ball since they were closed Sunday and Monday. Really nice folks there.

I got into the dingy and headed for the boat, expecting the worst. There she was, still snug on the mooring, and with the anchor line only wrapped around the mooring line once! She was snug and dry, and despite the 4 days without solar panels and lights on, still had almost 12 volts waiting for the journey back to her slip.
I appreciate all the good wishes and advice, and feel much more prepared for next time. Which hopefully won't be this year!

Happy Sailing!

#44 · (Edited)
Just now able to post as power is now back on.

This one was worse than we expected and stayed longer than most down here in this area. All things considered we came out of it in fine shape. The surge and the wind combined to raise the water here 8' or so. The only problem we encountered was with the wind shift from N/E to S/E. With the wind blowing at around 70 we had to climb aboard, from the dink, on the lee side and adjust the spring lines as the bow was coming too close to the boat house in the gusts. We lost our lazy jacks and a spare halyard came loose, and ran to the top of the mast. We did not remove our wind generator as time did not permit. It can not be tied in place without placing a cover over it according to the instructions. The wind came on us all of a sudden and during so became too dangerous, we ran out of time. It ran at serious speed for three days and two nights and we feared the worst as it screamed and wined and the brake system sounded like a wounded helicopter at times. It came through fine though and is still putting out as normal, truly amazing.

Water came within three feet of entering our house. Many in our area were not so fortunate. Not much sleep until last night as we were up monitoring wind, water level and "ROSA". Thank You to all who have expressed concern for all of us living through this event. We have been through many over the years but never seem to become confident no matter how much we prepare, too many variables I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.