I am new to this forum and to sailing in general.
I work as a university professor in Europe and have quite a bit of free time over the summer. This got me motivated to get into sailing. I am learning at a slow pace, every year a little bit. I believe that, now, I have reached a level that I should buy myself a little sailing boat. I have no intention to sail around the world, at least not in forseable future.
These are the criteria that I would like to find in a boat and I'm having trouble finding one that is matching them:
1. I would like the smallest possible sailing boat that is able to sail safely in Mediterenian and Adriatic sea and is able to fit me, my wife and our little boy that is three years old (will be four next summer). We like a modest sea life and do not seak for some great luxury.
2. I prefer a new boat over the used one, mainly for the safety reasons. I would like to minimize the probability of getting stuck somewhere in a sea due to the boat's malfunction if possible. On the other hand if you tell me that e.g. 5 years old boats are as reliable as the new ones (as it is the case statistically for 3 years old cars for example). I would be OK with that as well. Also, the maintenance is likelly cheaper with a new boat.
3. For a silly reason I prefer boats with "Ship's wheel" than those with "tiller" - I hope I got the terminology right here. Actually my little boy loves the Ship's wheel. It would be a big disappointment for him if we purchase a boat without it. I know that this is silly, but... (I could go over this constraint if it is worth it, e.g. If you tell me that Elan 210 is a perfect boat for me)
4. I prefer boats that have an on board engine than the external one.
5. I live in Europe, and some boats are easier to purchase than others. There is quite a difference in availability between the US and Europe and most of the advices that I have read in this form are US centric, so I would appreciate a European centric one
I'm not a rich person, so budget is a concern. I'm still not sure about the upper limit of what I will be able to spend but currently maybe around 20K EUR is realistic, maybe more if it is really worth it (but definitelly not over 30K EUR)
Thanx a lot!