SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

cruising dinghy in currents and beach camping

14K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  norahs arc 
#1 ·
I can't afford more than a used trailerable dinghy, and I live in Victoria, BC, so there are strong and somewhat complicated (to me) currents here (see this website).

I want to island hop and beach camp with one other person and fairly light camping gear.

Questions:
Is this safe or am I crazy?
Is there a gulf islands sailing related forum?
What boat or boat class should I look at?
Can you offer any search terms that will help me do my research?
Would a motor increase safety in this situation?

Thanks!

#2 ·
You live in a BEAUTIFUL area I wish I could cruise there myself.

But seriously, guys do what you are talking about in ocean kayaks so I doubt a good dinghy will be less able to deal with currents. You can always wait until the tides change anyway.

If you're gonna do this, esp in cold water, DRESS FOR IMMERSION. Wear a drysuit or at least a wetsuit for if you capsize.

As far as choice of trailerable affordable dinghy, Smack has a thread about a beach cat he picked up for $200 and will be in sailing shape for a total of $600 (I think). Beach cats are extremely seaworthy, and are fast enough in a breeze to outrun a modest current without too much trouble. Super stable too, so the likelyhood of capsize, as long as you are prudent, is pretty low and there is plenty of deck space for gear. They are hard to paddle when the breeze dies however, whereas a dinghy can simply be rowed. A motor on a sailing dinghy seems unwise though, since it will capsize at some point and your motor will be damaged. Also, motors are expensive you are better off investing in a screacher or something similar for light winds IMHO, if you are on a serious budget. I've even made a jib out of white duct tape and white pvc tarp material that worked well enough for a full season, alot of guys do this for small boats and dinghies.

forum.woodenboat.com has a ton of people who do this sort of thing, that might be a good place to do some searches. search the term "sail and oar cruiser" or "beach cruising" or something. This is a cool open boat cruising site also: www.openboat.co.nz

One more thing, if you have a place to store the trailer there are some very small keelboats that may still be picked up for almost nothing used, they may require some work though. I'm thinking like a Rhodes 19 or something. But no dragging that up a beach...

#3 ·
Thanks, great advice / links.

As far as choice of trailerable affordable dinghy, Smack has a thread about a beach cat he picked up for $200 and will be in sailing shape for a total of $600 (I think). Beach cats are extremely seaworthy, and are fast enough in a breeze to outrun a modest current without too much trouble. Super stable too, so the likelyhood of capsize, as long as you are prudent, is pretty low and there is plenty of deck space for gear. They are hard to paddle when the breeze dies however, whereas a dinghy can simply be rowed. A motor on a sailing dinghy seems unwise though, since it will capsize at some point and your motor will be damaged. Also, motors are expensive you are better off investing in a screacher or something similar for light winds IMHO.
I felt that CATs might be dangerous because they turtle quickly and you can't right them easily, and they capsize unexpectedly. Plus they don't seem as comfortable as a dinghy. Am I right about this?

#4 ·
driggers:
Just picked up a copy of the current "Small Craft Advisor" magazine (Sept/Oct 2012 volume number 77) yesterday and looked through it this morning. There's an article in there you should read about a couple who sailed (and rowed) their 15-foot Albacore sailing dinghy from Seattle to Alaska.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

#6 ·
driggers:
Just picked up a copy of the current "Small Craft Advisor" magazine (Sept/Oct 2012 volume number 77) yesterday and looked through it this morning. There's an article in there you should read about a couple who sailed (and rowed) their 15-foot Albacore sailing dinghy from Seattle to Alaska.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
great magazine I agree

#8 ·
I really think you're over thinking this d. Have you got any sailing experience? If there is light wind you can usually keep going, just at 2-3 knots. It is rare that there is NO wind at all, and even if, just chill on shore till the sea breeze kicks in.

A cat can be paddled, just not efficiently or for long distances. You could certainly avoid a rock island full of seals if you had to, and with 6" draft float over a reef. If you think you can row a sailing dinghy against a current for long distances, well, I happen to think otherwise...

#9 ·
The driest little dinghy you can pick up for pennies in your area will be a WD Schock built Lido 14. 310 lbs - can be trailered with a Prius.

Used Lido 14 prices range from 'can you pick it up today ? my wife wants it out of the garage' to $5k. Lido14

A more lux choice might be the Ultimate 20. used prices in the $20k range. 1280 lbs. can be trailered with most any sedan. U20 Class Association

#12 ·
dr, I'd suggest asking at the local chandlery, or marina, or the Coasties, where you can take some classes in navigation and basic boating skills. There are some strong currents up there and you MUST know how to read current charts and take them into consideration in any kind of small boat. You've also got water that's cold enough to make hypothermia a risk, so I'd suggest precautions including making sure to file a float plan on a regular basis, and carrying a PLB or other distress radio. Or at least, making sure you understand the pros and cons (debated elsewhere often enough) about that.

A canoe, kayak, small catamaran, all are perfectly safe IF you understand the limits of the boat and the crew, and stay on the conservative side of them. A good boating course should help with that.

#14 ·
I understand your desire for the simplicity of being able to just beach the boat and pitch a tent, but I think your options and cruising range will be quite limited. As you are aware, there are many little passes that the current rips through. There are also alot of currents in seemingly open areas. Couple that with the fact that often in the summer there is little or no wind, and you might find it frustrating if not impossible to get where you are going without auxiliary power. A canoe paddle in a dinghy certainly won't cut it. Proper oars and oarlocks might if you are fit and strong. Remember, even if the current is going your way, it can be very risky negotiating some of the passes without power. The eddies can just grab you and spin you around if you don't have enough boatspeed for the rudder to bite. You will be at the mercy of the current until it decides when and where to spit you out, and hopefully you will still be upright and dry when that happens!

I think you should be thinking more about some kind of pocket cruiser with a small outboard.

#16 ·
few jears ago I was out in north scotland and was ancored of the entrance of Loch Linnhe when a dink ( sturdy klinker built but a dink ) pulled up and the young couple asked me if there where any more interesting places to visit along the scottish coast and all they had was a road map of scotland. I thought they had a strange accent and asked them where they were from and it transpired that they had sailed that nutshell with a iglu tent they could sort of put up in it if they took the mast out and their camping srtove ......from Island.
People think I am nuts sailing single handed the wrong way over the pond at the wrong time of year but to answer your question...... it is possible to do most things if you want to. ( disclaimer ....don't try this at home .... or only at home kids )

ATB

Michael

#17 ·
FWIW, I lived in Bellingham, WA for three years (absolutely beautiful spot), and while sea kayaking around the islands was popular, I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of people exploring the area in a sailing dinghy or similar (absent a few who might putt around within a few 100 yards of shore). Not that it couldn't theoretically be done, I just didn't find that people did it, likely for the reasons already stated by a few folks.

Unfortunately, I did not spend too much time on the water there (the mountains were what had me there), but from the experience I did have, I can't imagine feeling comfortable navigating around those parts without a motor. But I'm kind of an over-prepared, over-thinking weenie too.

Lastly, if you do want to see what can go wrong, check out the episode "Swept Away" from the discovery show "I Shouldn't Be Alive"--which takes place in this area.

Discovery Channel :: I Shouldn't Be Alive :: Episode Guide

#18 ·
Sounds like ther really isn't much wind in this area then, maybe something like a motor canoe with a 3.5 ob would suit the op better.

I enjoy kayaking, but when u actually have to get somewhere it is really hard work and a little boring too. So for me it's sailing or nothing. Too bad, kayaking is an infinitely more affordable hobby :)

#21 ·
Don't listen to the naysayers on here. Last summer in Prince Rupert I met two gentleman who kayaked up the coast from Vancouver independantly of each other without any problems. One was from Scotland, had zero experience in a Kayak or on the water in general. He flew into Van bought a Canadian Tire kayak, filled it with food printed some maps from Google Maps and started paddling for the inside passage. He didn't even realize that currents exisisted until I asked him about them. He made it all the way to Alaska then back down to Rupert.

The other guy was from New Zealand, basically same story except he had considerable more marine experience from being on a Monster Energy drink sponsered SeaDoo demonstration team. He didn't take any maps, got lost once, but still made it safe and sound.

As far as currents go just hit up Capital Iron. They sell the current atlas as well as the schedules you need to make it usefully and no harder to understand then reading a tide chart.

DON'T where a drysuit. If you are rowing, paddling, doing any sort of physical activitey you are going to get very sweaty and uncomfortable. Both the before mentioned people wore wetsuits and found them adequate.

You could also try a sailing kayak. I can't find it now but I have read of people doing at least portions of the NWP in those. Heck the Inuit used seal skin kayaks with great success for years up there.

#24 · (Edited)
Go have fun! I did the same thing as a teenager in a 12 ft clinker built cat rigged boat. (On the other coast - Northumberland Strait.) I had tons of fun and learned the joy of just being on the water.
Just remember this old sailors saying - avoid the storm you can't weather and weather the storm you can't avoid. ie Keep a sharp eye on conditions and keep track of places to find refuge, and have fun. (Wish I was young enough to sail in company with you.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.