Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LauderBoy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Okeechobee waterway

Discussing transiting the Okeechobee waterway with a guy with a 55' mast got me recalling transiting it in my 28' S2 sailboat. After years of being in salt water, th cruise up the waterway from Fort Myers was very different and pleasant. We went two days with the smell of orange blossoms filling the air.

Going thru the locks is an interesting experience for most Florida sailors who have never done locks. At first the lockkeepers almost ignored us but I was sailing with my 25 yr old daughter and once she went up on the foredeck, they nearly fell over themselves being helpful. I think one guy delayed the process "waiting for another boat (that never arrived)" just to chat with her.

Once into the lake, you pass along the SW edge where thousands of gators line the banks, you do not want to fall overboard there.

The little marina at Clewiston was a lot of fun because you meet people going both ways and we met one guy on a small custom made pontoon boat who was doing the "Great Circle of the ICW and Mississippee R.". He had a dog with him that had been trained to go on a tiny patch of artificial grass with a plastic hydrant on the front of the boat. He called it "The poop deck".

Sailing across the lake was weird, it is a vast brown sea that looks like chocolate milk and is very shallow.

I knew my 28' boat could go under the infamous railroad bridge with 49' clearance, or at least sorta knew cuz I thought my mast height is about 48'. Approaching as slow as possible, watching the mast top with the binocs, we slipped under with a LOT of clearance, turns out my mast is 45'.

Stuart was nice and my first experience with what most people would consider normal marina conditions with all these regulations and people concerned with getting their boats out before hurricane season and expensive. My normal marina experience before this had been N. FL fish camps that had a dock and not much else.

Too bad they cannot raise that bridge but it is an old one and I imagine there is no no way it would pay to do it.

If you can do the waterway, I highly reccomend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Okeechobee waterway

Thank you for an interesting post... I have considered transiting the waterway from Stuart to Ft Myers. My boat, an O'day 35, has a 6' draft, and requires 47' of clearance (+2 for my VHF). While I think that it may be possible, I would be very concerned about the depth, and height requirements...
Old 08-23-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Did this same trip out of St Pete down to Ft Myers and transiting east to Stuart aboard a 55' Chesepeake Skipjack in '73. Had the same concerns on mast height. Definitely a great bucket list trip to get off the beaten path and see central FL. We have interesting Trent/Severn Waterway system from Lake Ontario thru to Georgian Bay, limited draft & mostly powerboat country. It was originally developed for commerce but trains and highways displaced that and we now have a fantastic cruisers destination. If you have a mast in a tabernacle it's a super trip too. You can also make Ottawa from Lake Ontario via the Rideau Canal.

Last edited by rugosa; 08-23-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

My wife and I made the round trip from Melbourne to Fort Myers and back in March this year. The water level was high and the locks were on demand. We took route 1 across the lake and maybe saw 1 or 2 other boat going across; not busy at all. Stops along the way included Nettles Island in Indian River, Indiantown Marina, Moorehaven, Rialto Harbour Marina and Legacy Harbor Marina in Fort Myers. I read somewhere that the strong floral scent was native Jasmine plants. Definitely a trip worth while to see a different Florida. Take some good heavy, large bumpers for the lock passages. We have an IP31 with 4 ft. draft and 45 ft. air draft.
Old 08-27-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

The waterway was my first trip after buying my boat in near Punta Gorda and moving it to Ft Pierce. It's a real easy trip and I was able to overnight at the dolphins near each lock.

Here's the bridge everyone is talking about:

Solo through the locks was a bit interesting at first until I got a good system down for handling the lines and dealing with any windage. The people running the locks generally do leave you on your own. They're friendly enough, but pretty much assume you know what you're doing.

Beautiful views, but make sure your hatchways and ports all have netting on them. The bugs at night can be murder.

The waterway itself was pretty well dredged when I went through it. Any draft issues you might have would probably be on the lake itself and if you intended to stop at any marinas along the way.

eherlihy likes this.
Old 08-27-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Some nice pics, Lauderboy. Did you cross the lake via route 1, or the route 2 rim route?
Old 08-27-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

I did route 1.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.