Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: I saw the USS Constitution under sail!

The ship is a national treasure. Would anyone really take a chance on grounding her? If you were responsible for the ship, would you entrust it to be sailed in open water by a crew with 15 minutes worth of actual tall ship sailing time?
souljour2000 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
The ship is a national treasure. Would anyone really take a chance on grounding her? If you were responsible for the ship, would you entrust it to be sailed in open water by a crew with 15 minutes worth of actual tall ship sailing time?

"A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for" – Grace Hopper (Rear Admiral, USN) - Also seen as attributed to William Shedd

And for my tax dollars, I want more than 17 minutes.
Old 08-23-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Apparently they haven't sailed her under her own sails since 1997. http://www.history.navy.mil/commemor.../USSC-sail.pdf

We are very lucky to still have her and if it wasn't for a poem she would be long gone. The navy tried to dispose of her so many times and each time she was saved. Now she has a permanent commission thanks to FDR and a Congressional order to maintain her, she should be around for a very long time.
Old 08-23-2012
Boatswain

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
You really don't. She doesn't have a full crew, it takes 450 seamen to sail her properly and it would be a huge waste of tax dollars to crew and sail her. She already costs enough to maintain as a "landmark" and recruiting tool. Money well spent, but with use the maintenance costs go up...way up.

She isn't like the Eagle which is steel, so even using her as a training ship wouldn't be economical.

Her last refit cost 12 million. (that was with all the wood being donated) that was in 1991-1995. She had be refitted about a half dozen times before that... she is quite easily the most costly sailing ship in the world.

Last edited by IronSpinnaker; 08-24-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
Once a year they take her out and turn her around so that the sun doesn't fade one side unevenly. You got lucky to see it happen.

Nice ship, but I am a little disappointed that she is only about 15% original... she has been refitted so much that only the keel is original to her.
Hey Iron,

You live for 200 years..,(btw..hope ya' do but it's not likely) and see how many original parts YOU still have in YOU...

I will add that I am glad the Old girl got some sail up....
I got to tour her back in '06...glad she's still with us...

Last edited by souljour2000; 08-24-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2012
Boatswain

She really isn't 215 years old is kinda the point. Only about 15% of her is. (according to the navy) If she was maintained from the beginning she would be a lot more original than she is. But she has been greatly modified, and was not put back into her original configuration until the 1920s. Thanks to FDR she will continue to be maintained for the remainder of this countries existence. In another 200 years she will not be 15% of what is original today, it will be much higher than that.
Attached Thumbnails
I saw the USS Constitution under sail!-740px-constitutionasbarracksship.jpg  
casey1999 likes this.
Old 08-24-2012
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Sorry if I appear negative . It is my love of her that fuels my angst . I just believe strongly that she should be sailed as she was intended to sail . Very little of her is 215 years old & to what purpose ? She is still a commissioned naval vessel & as such she should sail as such . If she's not going to " live " .......then let her die . A 17 minute cruise under 4 of her 36 sails is not a cruise....it's an insult . 3.1 knots ???? I wish I was a tree !
Old 08-24-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
"A ship is safe in harbour, but thatís not what ships are for" Ė Grace Hopper (Rear Admiral, USN) - Also seen as attributed to William Shedd

I get that. As a former Navy sailor myself, I agree with the good Admiral that sailors belong on ships and ships belong at sea. However, Old Ironsides is a museum that looks like a ship. She has a crew of tour guides and maintenance personnel.

For my tax dollars I want F22s that aren't made with Chinese parts in the oxygen generators. I want SOSUS updated and maintained so that Russion fast attacks aren't cruising around in the Gulf Mexico undetected.

My last ship is being decommed at the ripe old age of 21(!) I'd like my tax dollars to keep Aegis Cruisers in the fleet.
IronSpinnaker likes this.
Old 08-24-2012
Boatswain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
I just believe strongly that she should be sailed as she was intended to sail . !
I think she out ran the British once by the crew rowing out ahead of her, dropping anchor and winch her to the anchor. The way she was meant to be sailed is anyway that kept her out of harms way

If you read through the article about her cruise in 1997, they say that was the first time she had been under sail in 116 years. Even when she toured the world in the early 1940s she was moved by tug. Cheaper to tow her than train and pay the men needed to sail her. The sails they did fly this past trip out took 150 volunteers to man.
Old 08-24-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Am I wrong that it is actually a requirement to take her out for a spin every now and then to remain a commisioned navy ship? I think she is an icon of American history, is worth the $$. (Compared to the $$$ spent by the governemnt on other crap).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.