Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012

BillyOC is on a distinguished road
Re: WOW...another crazy law suit

Chord? Really? Has the job of "editor" been eliminated?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think we would all have to know more facts to decide this one. Was there a pattern of cutting corners here, whereby the suit may clean up the company's act, or did the customer not know what they were doing? My best guess is the latter. They must have already had the shore side cable plugged into to a hot pole, which you never do for many reasons. That has nothing to do with the worn plug or awkward position, etc. You either plug the shore in last or leave the breakers off until all connections are made. This guy now knows one reason why.

As far as the company taking responsibility for fully determining the competence of their client, I can not agree with that. If they knew the client didn't know what they were doing, that is different. But writing rules, laws, disclosures, regulations etc, to try to protect the dummest common denominator is absolutely worthless. The only protection those provide is to the company for the next lawsuit. They do not impact consumer behavior.

Further, if I shocked myself because I didn't know what I was doing, it wouldn't even dawn on me to sue. That is a cultural problem here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-24-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
From the article

Always make sure you inspect those power chords, they better rock out hard or you may face a lawsuit.
The ones in the key of C are particularly deadly!

Kidding aside, what happened to the GFI which would have kicked the circuit off in microseconds after current went to ground?
fryewe likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-24-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

As I write this, I have a 120v 30 amp plug and receptacle in hand. It is physically impossible to stick the plug in incorrectly even if the ground lug had its tiny ear worn off.
Why?
Because the 3 prongs are not 120* equally apart!
Either the receptacle was wired wrong, or the plaintiff is a liar.
Old 08-24-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road

There is not a fix for stupid- AND there is a lot if that going around these days.

Hey, it is never our fault when we screw up. Just ask any attorney
Old 08-24-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The ones in the key of C are particularly deadly!

Kidding aside, what happened to the GFI which would have kicked the circuit off in microseconds after current went to ground?
The media tends to over simplify (imagine that).

The "hot coffee" lawsuit is often laughed at or used as a bad example by those who don't know the history.

Truly frivolous law suits are like the monster under the bed. Yes, there are sharks or grisly bears out there somewhere, and the media loves blood. However, the numbers speak for themselves.
blowinstink likes this.
Old 08-24-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

..failure to have an employee of the company re-engage all shore-supplied power, among other allegations.

And this, my friends, is how we end up with rules and policies that prevent a grown adult from doing a simple task that a child could do with ten minutes of instruction.
utchuckd likes this.
Old 08-24-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
..failure to have an employee of the company re-engage all shore-supplied power, among other allegations.

And this, my friends, is how we end up with rules and policies that prevent a grown adult from doing a simple task that a child could do with ten minutes of instruction.
WARNING
Only certified plugger inners may operate this Pluggy Inny Thingy.
arf145 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 08-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOC View Post
Chord? Really? Has the job of "editor" been eliminated?
No, it's been assigned to Spellcheck.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
writing rules, laws, disclosures, regulations etc, to try to protect the dummest common denominator is absolutely worthless. The only protection those provide is to the company for the next lawsuit. They do not impact consumer behavior.
They DO impact consumer behaviour in that they can drive whole industries out of existence. The light aircraft industry in the States is a shining example. When I was a kid in the 50's & early 60's Piper, Cessna, Beech etc. were vibrant companies and light aircraft were everywhere. The ambulance chasers with their product liability suits virtually eliminated the entire industry. Go to a private airfield and take a look - most of the planes in use are from that era. It's like cars in Cuba - little newer than 50 years old.

It's not the lawyers fault really - they are hired advocates. The ones to blame are the bottom feeders who LAUNCH the suits - the "injured" parties.

Lawyers are like cops & tow truck drivers - everyone loves to hate them until they need one, at which point they become their new best friend.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.