Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mr_f

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012

obsessed is on a distinguished road
First Sailboat Suggestions

Hello Everyone

I'll start by saying what a great forum this is. I have been lurking for awhile and have decided to reach out for some advice. This year I have had the pleasure of sailing for the first time with a friend of mine. He has a late 70's Pearson 26. I am now interested in a boat of my own. I should be able to get a mooring for ~$1,000 per season and will not need to have my mast stepped down for storage. I am handy and can do a fair amount of maintenance myself

There have been a couple things I have learned I either want or do not want from sailing aboard the Pearson 26.

#1- I am 6' tall. I need either a tall boom I can stand under without hunching, or one that swings in front of the steering wheel.
#2- I am not interested in a tiller steer and want a steering wheel. See #1. I would prefer one with some type of brake.
#3- Length. I think I need something slightly bigger than the 26'. Budget will prevent me from going too big. I was unable to sleep in the Vberth or on either side berth.
#4- Inboard or Kicker? Honestly I could go either way. The Inboard seem like they would be quieter while in the cockpit, but the kicker seems easier to replace and fix.

To date I have only looked at one sail boat. An O'Day 28. I liked a lot about the boat. Wide beam, made the cabin feel big. I still did not fit well in the V berth, but the boat did have a place to sleep with your feet half below the cockpit. I really liked that. The Pearson does not have this space. The 28 ODay also had a steering wheel with brake. The only thing I was not crazy about was the engine. This particular boat had a 2 stroke SailDrive (some sort of outboard that goes through the hull). Otherwise I like the boat a lot. Ideally I would like to spend less than $10,000 and preferably closer to $6,000.

So long message, but what other boats should I be looking at based on my wants and description?

Thanks
T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: First Sailboat Suggestions

Sounds like a boat that leans more towards creature comforts (as opposed to performance qualities) is more to your liking.
O'Days are good to look at as well as larger Pearson's.
The aft berth you are referring to in the O'Day is called a quarter berth and quite a few boats have them and larger boats like my Catalina 34 have private aft cabins.
I suggest looking at Catalina 27's. Quite roomy and should meet your needs well. Even better, if you can find one in your budget is a Catalina 30.
In the 27-30' range, I strongly advise you to get an inboard as opposed to an outboard for a number of reasons.
Go to Yachtworld.com and start looking at boats in your size and budget range. then start walking the docks and see what's available.
Old 08-25-2012
chucklehead

mr_f is on a distinguished road

I am in no way disagreeing with a preference for a wheel. I can see the advantages of both. But I will say that a tiller essentially negates your concern #1. With a tiller, you generally sit opposite the boom and as such, it is never directly overhead no matter how hard you have the main sheeted in. You have to duck to tack or jibe, but not a bad habit to be in anyway. I tend to prefer the feel of a tiller especially on a smallish boat, but that being said, I have a wheel.
AncientTech likes this.

Last edited by mr_f; 08-25-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

It's a buyers market. Lots and lots of boats would meet your requirements. Keep sailing while you are looking!
Old 08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
I am in no way disagreeing with a preference for a wheel. I can see the advantages of both. But I will say that a tiller essentially negates your concern #1. With a tiller, you generally sit opposite the boom and as such, it is never directly overhead no matter how hard you have the main sheeted in. You have to duck to tack or jibe, but not a bad habit to be in anyway. I tend to prefer the feel of a tiller especially on a smallish boat, but that being said, I have a wheel.
I know a lot of sailing purists prefer a tiller over a wheel, but usually with a tiller, you are positioned underneath the boom and usually with a wheel, you are positioned behind the boom.
Old 08-25-2012

obsessed is on a distinguished road

Ok
So I am looking at Larger Catalinas, Pearsons and O'Days.

Anyone ever heard of Mariner? I found a nice looking 27', although it has been "on the hard" for four seasons. (is it possible to run a diesel inboard with a hose?)

How noisy are the inboards when you are above/below decks? Should I expect the 2 storke SailDrive to louder or the same as an inboard diesel?

Thanks
T

Last edited by obsessed; 08-25-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
With a wheel you are forced to use a digital assist autopilot? Is there such a thing as a manual auto pilot rig for a wheel? I have seen many manual auto pilot rigs that work in average wind that work a tiller but I personally have never seen one for a wheel, save a digital autopilot.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Old 08-25-2012

tweitz is on a distinguished road
First Sailboat Suggestions

We used to have an O'Day 272 LE that meets almost all your requirements and should be available pretty reasonably. They are inboard diesels with wheel steering. I am 6'4" and managed both the boom and berth, though a bit tight. You don't mention where you will be sailing. It makes a difference. That O'Day had a winged keel, which met my need for shallow draft to clear a sand bar, but at a performance cost. If you are in a very windy locale and don't need a shoal draft, you may well want a much deeper keel. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

A Catalina 30 would be a good choice for you, but you would have to increase the amount you are willing to spend by 50-100%.
Old 08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
Ok
So I am looking at Larger Catalinas, Pearsons and O'Days.

Anyone ever heard of Mariner? I found a nice looking 27', although it has been "on the hard" for four seasons. (is it possible to run a diesel inboard with a hose?)

How noisy are the inboards when you are above/below decks? Should I expect the 2 storke SailDrive to louder or the same as an inboard diesel?

Thanks
T
Diesels are not quiet engines, especially below deck. I'm just saying that in the size boat you are looking at, inboards are your best bet. Most will have diesels, but you will still find some older boats that have the old Atomic 4 gas engine in them. I've not had any experience with them, but I understand that for a gas engine, they were pretty reliable.
When you find a boat that appeals to you and you want to make an offer to buy, make sure you get it surveyed.

Yes you can run an engine on a hose and that's good just to see if it is in working order, but it really needs to be run under load in a sea trial.

Last edited by chuck53; 08-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.