Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By PalmettoSailor
  • 3 Post By Minnewaska
  • 2 Post By flyingwelshman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I made a convert!!!!

So our trawler owning dockmates expressed an interest in sailing, and we took them out last weekend. It seems the husband had an agenda as he never took the wheel only encouraging his wife to take the boat. Winds last weekend were pretty high so we reefed in a bit but the boat was moving quite well and they got a good dose of what sailing is about. She had a pretty good feel for the boat and only needed a bit of guidance to keep from heading too high and flogging the sails. I talked her through several tacks, with her husband handling the jib and main, then we hove to for a comfortable lunch then headed back to the marina where she had the thrill of passing another similar sized boat, drawing out the dormant "two sailboats on the same tack are always racing" gene. As they left the boat last week, I told my wife I thought they really enjoyed it.

Last night I got an E-mail that they are looking at Benteau. Whoo-Hooo! I"ve brought someone to the light!!!

Well partly. I think they'll keep their trawler and buy a smaller Beneteau for daysailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: I made a convert!!!!

Nice story!
Old 08-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Well done!

Trawler owners are really just underprivileged sailboaters already. Convert a cigarette boater and we'll make you our diety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-25-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

I was chatting with the owner of a beautiful trawler last summer. He said something that made me laugh:
"The difference between a sailboat and a trawler is that a sailboat only uses its motor 75% of the time."

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 08-25-2012
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was chatting with the owner of a beautiful trawler last summer. He said something that made me laugh:
"The difference between a sailboat and a trawler is that a sailboat only uses its motor 75% of the time."
Do you have an attribution on that quote? I want to use it - (see the quotes from the hoi polloi thread.)

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
Do you have an attribution on that quote? I want to use it - (see the quotes from the hoi polloi thread.)
I'm afraid I don't - the guy may have made it up himself. I can't even remember the name of his boat - a beautiful candy-apple-red trawler. He was from Grimsby (Ontario) and motored up to Superior for the summers.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 08-25-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

I think I may have converted a cigarette owner. I took him and a friend out they loved it. He said he was tired of spending 4/5 hundred a month on fuel going nowhere. Only a 23 foot boat eating that much. They came out to look at my 37c I have for sale. He needs to sell the hot rod first. I think he will switch, but probably for a sailboat a little smaller than mine.
Old 08-25-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Just converted my 13 year old nephew on Wednesday. Took him and his mother for a light sail at noon, gave him the helm and he wouldn't give it up. He returned for a stellar race night. They cottage and have power boats. Now he is talking dinghy. Gotta start em some where
Old 08-25-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
I saw the same quote (with 90% as the number) in a fancy trawler magazine once. It wasn't attributed there, so I wonder if it's a reasonably common saying. Also it could be originally from the magazine I suppose. Sorry I can't remember the name of the magazine.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I saw the same quote (with 90% as the number) in a fancy trawler magazine once. It wasn't attributed there, so I wonder if it's a reasonably common saying. Also it could be originally from the magazine I suppose. Sorry I can't remember the name of the magazine.

MedSailor
Maybe my new trawler friend was trying to be kind by fudging the numbers.