Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By svzephyr44
  • 2 Post By JonEisberg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012

soyuz is on a distinguished road
Sailing around Newfoundland

I want to sail around the island next year. I will start from the gaspé shore and it will be a none stop trip. Is there anyone who as done the island who could help me a bit with routes i have to take ect.

Thanks.
Mike.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Sailing around Newfoundland

Not sure why you would want to go non-stop. Newfoundland is one of the worlds great gunkholing places. Why would you miss George Street in St John's?

You are not making sense...
Agri likes this.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2012

I just want to get experience at sea for more then a day or two. Ive been sailing around halifax,bras dor and madeleine island last few years, but we always stop after 24-48 hours to rest somewhere.Since i have never been at sea for a long period of time i was thinking going around the island none stop would be a learning experience and a nice challenge to. I have plenty of time to visit N-F another day since its not even 300 miles from here. If you have a better idea fell free.

Thanks.
Mike.
Old 08-26-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

The general consensus seems to be a recommendation to circumnavigate The Rock in a clockwise direction, as you are likely to have prevailing winds in your favor along the west coast, where harbors and safe havens are fewer and further between...

I agree with svzephyr, however, and can't imagine why anyone would want to sail in such close proximity to such an awesome cruising ground, not to mention one of the most wonderful islands on Earth, without ever stopping to smell some of the roses... And, I believe it can be a real mistake - especially when traveling in a means of conveyance as slow as a cruising sailboat, through a region where the conditions and weather are as notoriously variable as Newfoundland - to assume that one can always see what they're passing so close at hand "next time"...

RichH and Faster like this.
Old 08-26-2012

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger

To sail around Newfoundland is most likely not possible becuase of the three different weather zones. We spent four years there in St Johns living aboard. The locals will tell you that after a eastern blow it takes two days of westerlies to settle the sea. As an example took me two days 14 hours to sail fron Sidney to St John's in early November and three weeks to get from St John's following the southern shore. The weather is the major factor.

Wish you luck
Old 08-26-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theartfuldodger View Post
To sail around Newfoundland is most likely not possible becuase of the three different weather zones. We spent four years there in St Johns living aboard. The locals will tell you that after a eastern blow it takes two days of westerlies to settle the sea. As an example took me two days 14 hours to sail fron Sidney to St John's in early November and three weeks to get from St John's following the southern shore. The weather is the major factor.

Wish you luck
Did you live aboard during the winter in St. John's as well? If so where and how and what did you do when the pack ice came in? I always figured if I wanted to live aboard on the Rock I'd need to haul out and build a shed around my boat for the winter.

To reply to the OP. All the fog Newfoundland gets would make a non stop circumnavigation challenging especially short handed.
Old 08-26-2012

Ok i understand. Lets say you start from baie des chaleurs and you want to be at sea like 3 weeks in a row where would you go?
Old 08-26-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Three weeks from Baie des Chaleurs, and you could be in St. Malo or La Rochelle.