Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Went to the boat for a sail..and its Flooded!!!

I have one of these on my boat:

Boatsense (TM)

For two years it has worked flawlessly.
Some may say that is a lot of money, but if my boat sinks, probably won't be able to afford another of equally quality and rigged/equiped they way I want. In winter the harbor surge can be huge, would be nice to know my boat has broken lose and maybe getting holed by a piling before she sinks. You can hook to a smoke alarm to warn of fire danger, or to your hatch to warn of someone breaking into the boat- limitless possiblities. Good to have if I need to leave the boat for several weeks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark!
You race, ergo you have raised yourself above that subset (unless you have given that up for wine and cheese raft-ups and picnics in the marina).
Old 08-27-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

NewportNewbie,

I am curious, does the sump under your engine have limber holes so that it drains into your bilge? My boat doesn't, so the water from my packing accumulates under the engine. Once that sump overflows I see a telltale trickle across the cabin sole to the bilge. It is a bit annoying to have the wet floor when it happens, but so far I have resisted drilling holes. This summer while we were cruising my engine developed an oil leak, and had it not been for that teltale trickle of oil across the floor, I may not have known about it until I lost oil pressure. As it was the leak was easily repaired, and the oil didn't even make it into the bilge. It was contained for the most part under the engine where it was easy to clean up.
Hull#101
Old 08-27-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Yes. It goes from the engine compartment directly into the bilge. Mine was designed that way. When I bought it the whole was plugged by a previous owner and it was dammed up so it was accumulating in front of the large pump under the stairs and never getting to the bilge. The boat yard removed that when I had it pulled and made sure I had 2 working bilge pumps. I would check and see if your was not plugged previously. Sounds like you have something similar to what I had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Hard to tell from your photo, but looks like your bilge pump wiring might be getting wet. If the spice connections are not 100% water tight this will lead to corrosion and failure of the wire. You mentioned the + lead broke loose. Stray current will also lead to underwater metal corrosion (electoloysis). Try to make your pump/float switch connections well above high bilge water level to the connection never gets wet.
Old 08-27-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I wasn't aware that Bill Schock and Bob Perry frequented this board. I would dearly love to have a conversation with someone who was involved in the design of my boat, and other similar boats of the era. I am sure he could offer some useful insight that the marketing department didn't include in the brochures!
Bob Perry definitely posts here a good bit. Great guy.

As for Bill S. - is WDS123 Bill himself - or just someone from the company? I assumed the former until the WD post above talks about him in 3rd person. WD?
HDChopper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-27-2012

I thought WD Schock had been sold and Bill Schock was no longer involved in the company, but I might be wrong! It is just what I heard through the grapevine. Perhaps you can enlighten us Wds123?
Hull#101
Old 08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Yes. It goes from the engine compartment directly into the bilge. Mine was designed that way. When I bought it the whole was plugged by a previous owner and it was dammed up so it was accumulating in front of the large pump under the stairs and never getting to the bilge. The boat yard removed that when I had it pulled and made sure I had 2 working bilge pumps. I would check and see if your was not plugged previously. Sounds like you have something similar to what I had.
No, the sump under my engine definitely did not have limber holes from the factory. It is smooth clean gelcoat. I haven't decided if I want to drill some, but my experience with the oil leak has me thimking maybe not!
Hull#101
Old 08-27-2012

goosesgooses is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear, I'm glad you caught the leak while it was still manageable.
Old 08-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Two auto bilge pumps are mandatory in my book, the second float switch being just a few inches above the first. Both pump intakes should be at the bottom of the bilge. Plus a manual hand pump.

For real safety, put an alarm on another float switch with a buzzer in the cockpit. Good for you when underway. Better when those around the marina complain about your buzzer and someone comes to see why its going off.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.