Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat Quality

I can't answer your question but I would like to support the validity of such a question. It's true that there are numerous, maybe countless, factors that go into selecting the "right" boat for your needs. But one of those factors is build quality, and you have chosen to ask that specific question here. I hope you get the answers you seek.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Hrmmmmm

I am surprised that people are not being more definitive. Yes, I realize that aftermarket stuff, maintenance all go into the price.

But when we walk on a 1985 C&C or Ericson, even my wife can see they were built to higher quality standards than a Hunter or MacGregor!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Look at Cape Dory, and a terrific web site for Cape Dory owners:
The Cape Dory Board • Index page
Old 08-26-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

You may also want to consider Valient, S-2, Caliber, Sabre and Island Packet.
Old 08-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Swann, Hinkley = Rolls Royce
Chance, CS (Canadian Seacraft?), PS (Pacific Sailcraft?) = Jaguar
early Tartan, Cal, Cape Dory, "J" boats, Allied and maybe Bristol = high end Cadillac of their times
--------------------
Beneteau = Lexus
Catalina = Toyota
Hunter = Honda
O'Day = GM

I left out a lot of brands, didn't I.

I don't think you will find 'bulletproof' chain plates in many of these mfr's older boats except perhaps Swan or Hinckley. Chain plates, no matter how well designed and implemented suffer from repetitive stress fatigue and need replacing before the rig comes down.

Bulletproof and unsinkable are both unlikely adjectives to combine with the noun: "boat". Remember the 'Titanic'?

All boats (even new ones) need periodic maintenance. Older boats just need more.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-26-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks Caleb!

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 08-26-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

If you're into reading I recommend "Heart of Glass" by Daniel Spurr. It's the history of fiberglass boat manufacturers and gives insight into their boats and the their trade-offs in building them. I agree with what's been said about the "quality" of a boar being mostly about what your expectations are. The older the boat is the more how it's been maintained comes into play. From time to time Good Old Boat does comparison articles of older boats.
Cal-29
Old 08-26-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I should add that I am on my 3rd boat... and starting to become more sensitive to the question of quality.

When you are buying 20-30 year old boats, whether the manufacturer spent that extra time and effort to make those chinplates bulletproof starts becoming important
Great Now we have something specific to argue about.

I would argue that in a lake with a 20+ year old boat the original build quality of the chain plates means less than nothing. Chain plates should be replace every 10 years, they are not a 30 year part.

I would rather have the o'day that had a full rig replace 5 years ago than a Pearson with a 30 year old rig.

Other than the fiberglass and the aluminum spars their is probably nothing on a boat that doesn't need if not replacement at least serious inspection and repair after 30 years.

A old boat is like George Washingtons ax. The head has been replaced 5 times the handle replaced 10 times but it's still GW's ax. What difference does the original quality make?

Don't forget I'm talking lake and coastal now. Off-shore other things start to matter like deck to hull connection, stringers, bulkhead tabbing, layup schedule and tankage. Things that make the boat more suitable for off-shore use and would typically be too expensive to refit although it has been done.
Old 08-26-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Hrmmmmm

I am surprised that people are not being more definitive. Yes, I realize that aftermarket stuff, maintenance all go into the price.

But when we walk on a 1985 C&C or Ericson, even my wife can see they were built to higher quality standards than a Hunter or MacGregor!
That is exactly why I'm not being definitive although Caleb gave you a good run down.
The original build quality is obvious to anyone.

The risk is that you fall in love with the pretty C&C that is still pretty but someone sucked all the life out of and will be a money pit for you. You could have bought the not so pretty Hunter that is impeccably maintained you could sail for years with minimal trouble.

If you are already on your third boat you know this already though.
We buy with our heart and maintain with our wallet.

We all want a boat we can be proud of. It's a bonus if it floats however.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-26-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would argue that in a lake with a 20+ year old boat the original build quality of the chain plates means less than nothing. Chain plates should be replace every 10 years, they are not a 30 year part.
I disagree. On my boat the chainplates are built to last, and it is a good thing because it would be a major job! This is one example of the initial build quality of the boat. Some of the more lightly rigged boats out there may need to replace their chainplates, but on boats like mine they were done right on the initial build and 33 years later there is absolutely no concern about failure!
msmith10 likes this.
Hull#101