Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat Quality

What boats NEED to replace their chainplates every 10 years ?

SchockT's experience with his Santana30 not having a hint of chainplate issues after 33 years seems to be the more typical situation.

BTW - one of our Harbor daysailer owners also has a 50ft Swan circa 30 years old. His chainplates did need to be replaced due to corrosion.

The Schock Harbor 30 has a carbon fiber-epoxy-G10 stringer/ring frame that the SS-316 chainplates connect to. The thickened laminate extends 24" either side of the stringer to better distribute loads from keel-shrouds. It is a very very stiff system. The stringer and thickened laminate runs high enough up that the chainplates are never going to get wet. It turns out the Navy leadership 44s have a similar design approach.
LinekinBayCD likes this.

Last edited by WDS123; 08-26-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Er... let's not get distracted on chainplates!

All things considered equal... initial build quality does make a difference. Some manufacturers overbuild, some cut corners to cut costs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Yes, but the car analogy is a good one. There is no point in worrying about the Ferraris and the Rolls Royces if you are on a Ford budget! Best to zero in on boats in your price range and then examine the build quality differences between them. Sometimes it is not even the build quality that makes one better than the other but their choice of hardware and rigging.
Hull#101
Old 08-27-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I disagree. On my boat the chainplates are built to last, and it is a good thing because it would be a major job! This is one example of the initial build quality of the boat. Some of the more lightly rigged boats out there may need to replace their chainplates, but on boats like mine they were done right on the initial build and 33 years later there is absolutely no concern about failure!
I agree. When and if chain plates need to be replaced is a boat by boat decision.
Old 08-27-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS123 View Post
What boats NEED to replace their chainplates every 10 years ?

SchockT's experience with his Santana30 not having a hint of chainplate issues after 33 years seems to be the more typical situation.
Santana 30/30 Email list archive: re: rig tuning

All parts on all boats are subject to damage and wear after years of service.
I didn't say that they needed to be replaced but that they needed to looked after and inspected. Even then they are suspect.
We just had a sailnet fellow dougsabagg that lost his gulfstar 50 due to chain plate failure. He had inspected only one side of the boat and they looked good.

Unless you pull them you will not see the damage as the damage is typically just below the deck.

My point is that original build quality can actually be counter productive.
The Hunter may have had to be refit at 20 years because of lower quality parts so whey you buy it at 25 years you get a deal.
The premium boat may be all original at 30 years. Guess who gets to refit it?
Nothing lasts forever.
Old 08-27-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

vtsailguy-- I'm in your neck of the woods. I don't have an answer for your question, but when we were looking I had my budget and looked at just about every boat (at least the online listing) that fell within my budget parameters and size requirements. I didn't want to transport here, so that narrowed down my list to what was selling local. Typically, when I found a boat that would appeal to me, I'd then go online and research the heck out of it, learn what issues to look for, etc.

Ended up buying through Bruce Hill Yacht Sales and they made it a very smooth, easy transaction. We closed on August 4, launched the boat that same day, and have been sailing as much as possible since.
davidpm likes this.
Old 08-27-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I have not seen AMEL mentioned so far. IMHO one of the boats with the best build quality.

BUT if we are talking 20 year old boats I would rather sail a well maintained Morgan OI 41 than a neglected AMEL.
davidpm likes this.
Old 08-27-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

there are many great boats. how is the sailor who is going to be handling the boat??? is he or she as great as the boat???
folks can argue boat marques for hours if not days.
when you find the boat that is right for YOU, you will suffer the same lust you suffer in spouse hunting. but ye wont be able to survive without that boat..... then ye know is correct boat for you--even if everyone else in life poo poos your choice. is yours, not ours, and only you have to deal with the result of your searching.

both of my boats were built in 1970s--and each is great for the kind of boat each is. each has a different reason for being built. i am cruising a heavycruiser--i am selling a daysailing/weekender 35.
HDChopper likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 08-27-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Lots of variables to consider as others have pointed out. Suggest you find a boat that you like/meets your needs. Then go to yachtworld.com and plug into the advanced search length, age, hull material, etc. of the boat you like. Sort that search result by price and you'll have idea of the market's idea of quality ranking for that particular year, anyway. One caveat to be careful of, though. Some boats are built much more heavily than others. For example, Island Packet purposely builds heavy boats. A similar sized Catalina, Beneteau, or Hunter will displace much less, and will be correspondingly less expensive to build. Pound for pound, the Island Packets will cost generally the same as light displacement boats of a similar size and similar production quality.
davidpm likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 08-27-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

WHEN the boat was made has a huge effect on quality. Early Catalinas (1970's - early 1980s) were definitely in the "Yugo" grade of quality compared to boats built in the last twenty years or so. Then again, that was more or less the standard of boar manufacturing of the era. Lots of from that time period, and before, were made using methods that would be deemed totally unacceptable today (e.g., gate valves on thru-hulls, mild steel used in structural supports, et cetera).
msmith10 likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt