Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: wave height history in the gulf stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Really? That is quite the chop. Does it get longer if it is not counter to the current?
The British have a great term for the Gulf Stream, "Dirty patch of water". The chop generally does not get longer here in southern Florida. It is 47 miles straight shot from Miami to Bimini. The Gulf Stream wall is only 5 miles from here at Key Biscayne and only a one mile from Bimini. So that is 41 miles as a crow files. However we sailboaters with an average speed say 5.5 knots are in the Gulf Stream for at least 10 hours due to the current taking you upstream around 15-20 miles depending on the strength of the current. Always take the Gulf Stream 90 degrees which down here in around a 110 degree heading. Don't try to fight the current by crabbing your heading into the current. It will only prolong your misery in the this dirty patch of water. I proved this out my first time crossing and it took me 14 hours of pure misery and solo at that. It was the only time I have been sea sick in 20 years.
millyman01 and HDChopper like this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012

millyman01 is on a distinguished road

Hello Thank you all for the responses. I should have been more detailed with my question. The last few years I have spent every Feb. in the keys on my mac 22. If I could cross to Bimini and be able to get back in a week or two that would be fine. Last Feb there was twice periods of a week or so with seas too rough to try it. It seems a rough chop is harder on me than larger swells. The side to side swing keel movement seems to start flexing the whole center of the boat in a chop. It would be best in calm seas. So it did get me to wondering what percent of the time the stream is calmer
Old 08-27-2012

millyman01 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the responses. Just a quick note on the fuel question. I have 2 outboards so I always have a spare. I replaced the old motors with new 5 hp lawn mower engines. They use 1 quart an hour of gas. I carry about ten gallons with me. One motor will push me about 4 mph.

Last edited by millyman01; 08-27-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by millyman01 View Post
Thank you all for the responses. Just a quick note on the fuel question. I have 2 outboards so I always have a spare. I replaced the old motors with new 5 hp lawn mower engines. They use 1 quart an hour of gas. I carry about ten gallons with me. One motor will push me about 4 mph.
How did you replace an outboard engine with a lawn mower engine.
Pictures?
Do they fit under the power head cover?
Old 08-31-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

It's really very simple; don't even think of crossing in a northerly. It is a wind against the waves scenario; waves stand up like breakers on a beach and I've seen them higher than your boat between the Bahamas and FLA.
No amount of research or looking into past averages will do you any good; you must plan your voyage in real time.
Between Bimini and Lauderdale, the current AVERAGES 2.5 knots to the north, which you also need to consider. I've been in 8 knots plus at times and on one trip crossing East to West I had none at all; ended up in Miami beach instead of Lauderdale.
The Gulf Stream is not to be taken lightly, but that said, if you use due diligence, you can have a great trip.
Old 09-01-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Between Bimini and Lauderdale, the current AVERAGES 2.5 knots to the north, which you also need to consider. I've been in 8 knots plus at times and on one trip crossing East to West I had none at all; ended up in Miami beach instead of Lauderdale.
More than EIGHT KNOTS of current in the Stream???

Hmmm, I'll buy that when I see it myself... (grin)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.