Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Who sailed this weekend???

Kathy and I headed out Sunday morning around 9:30 with our friend Bill. With an east/northeast wind we broad reached down Barnegat Bay in 15 knot winds, the remnants of a storm from the night before.

Just off the red 44 mark I found an uncharted sand bar and had that sinking feeling all Bay sailors get when they suddenly see negative numbers on the sounder

But just a little bump that no one else noticed and we were reading seven feet again

We skirted along Conklin Island and tacked back up the bay breaking out the munchies. About then I got a call from Paul, he was heading out along with Kristen, Randy and Pearson the sailing dog. We met them mid-bay and we all tacked to sail alongside for some pictures of the three boats and a little conversation. We finally broke off and beam reached back up to Forked River and put in around 2pm to let Bill head home.

Beers on Paul's boat rounded out a pretty pleasant Sunday.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2012

sweetsailing is on a distinguished road

We had a fabulous night sail on Friday night. Man, I love sailing at night. 9 of us aboard, it was one of those community gatherings of who is on the dock and wants to head out for a nice sail. Winds were 15 - 20 knots, had the main, genny and the stay sail flying. There was a beautiful half moon shining on the water and a sky full of stars.

We sail on Lake Pepin in Minnesota, which is a really W I D E part of the Mississippi River. Now, for reasons unknown to me, no one and I mean no one, really is ever on this lake after dark, which means we had the Lake all to ourselves, sailed 20 nm with one tack, nice !

Got back to the dock around midnight. What an awesome night!
Old 08-28-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hey BUBBLES, what boat were you on? We did the race too. Had to sail down from Rock Creek in the AM, pick up crew and then sailed back after dark. Got in right at midnight. Figure we sailed 60 miles between down and back, sailing around before and after the race. GREAT DAY!
I was on Irie, out of Eastport Yacht Club. It's a T3000. Did you see that MOB, and the professional job Air Mail did recovering him? Great stuff!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-28-2012

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road

Friday night I was reviewing what i needed to do for storm prep, as the hurricane was still a threat to Tampa Bay. Removing the sails and splicing new dock lines was the task. I was up early saturday morning but the wind was fairly strong and blowing the wrong way for easy sail removal. I figured the easiest way to remove the sails was to motor away from the dock and get her pointed upwind. Then I realized this was an opportunity for a sail, so I sailed away from the dock and out into the ICW. As luck would have it I could just point high enough to stay in the channel without tacking and, rail in the water, went beating towards Clearwater. After 30 minutes of that I turned and set up on a beautiful reach that took me back to the entrance to my canal. Jib lowered and stowed I sailed in under the main and got up to my dock before stowing the main and cranking up the diesel for the last few yards (I had warmed the engine previously, just in case.) It was only an hour or so but was a great and unexpected solo sail. No pictures but believe me; I had a big smile!

DB