Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Who sailed this weekend???

Who sailed this weekend? Where did you go? can you share your story and some photos?
Here is a little of what we did yesterday. follow the link for the whole story and some photos.
Then I want to here your story.
It’s been a few weeks since our last sailing trip. Today’s trip was about 30 miles round trip. We sailed from 1:30 pm to 5:30. We had very good conditions. The wind was out of the north east at 10 to 14. We were riding the tide out and making great time. We hoisted the main sail nearly as soon at the mast cleared the Mcteer Bridge. I silenced the iron jib “the engine” and we began making free propulsion.
We had only traveled a mile or so when we had the best encounter with dolphins we’ve ever had. There were I know 14 or 15 dolphin. They were awesome. At one point they headed toward our boat on a portside, what looked to be a full out beam attack and just before they crashed into the hull they dove under. It was so cool. I just love watching Deb my wife’s face. She was so cute it was like watching an 11 year old girl. Look!! Look!!! She exclaimed… they’re right here; look here right at the boat. Oh my god!! So awesome she said. Hurry get the camera.
S/V East Coast Lady
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Who sailed this weekend???

I raced in a charity regatta on Saturday which was great, but I've really been wanting to sail my own boat.

Sunday was full of pop-up storm cells. I watched the weather radar closely all day, and set off when I felt that the storms had passed. WRONG. 3 cells popped up all around me, and one came straight up from the south and nailed me. The squall was minor and the boat rode it out just fine, but I was utterly soaked as I sailed back to my slip.

My sails should be dry by now, and I'll pack them away shortly. Or try to go sailing today...whichever.
ltgoshen likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-27-2012

Alive3and3Well is on a distinguished road

Lt.,

Nice video. My question is: where are all the other sailboats?

I also sail Port Royal Sound (from Hilton Head Island) raising sail upon leaving slip. The open water to the sea, or you can just sail in the sound and rivers. The dolphins love it but there are very few people out sailing! The few sailboats are usally the "snowbirds" motoring up and down the intracoastal. It is almost as bad as St. Augustine with so many boats in slips or moored.
Old 08-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We had a great sail on Saturday with a rare easterly across the Bay that didn't accompany a storm. As we head down the West Passage on the same tack the whole way, we were going to make a call to stop at Point Judith or continue to Block Island, depending on wind. About 2 miles south of Beavertail in open water, one of our guests started to feel woozy. Non-boater. Barely 3 footers that I knew would kick up to 4ish on Sunday, so I decided to spin around and sail up the East Passage. As we enter, there must be two dozen mega sailing yachts heading right for us. I'm sure it was just the launch of the latest race leaving Newport. Too many to keep track of, I suspect it was the Bucket Regatta. Thread the needle through them and had a nice Bay sail for a few hours instead. Variable winds from 5 to 9 knots. All in all, it was a very nice day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-27-2012

luck66 is on a distinguished road

you could do better on your head sail trim.
Old 08-27-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive3and3Well View Post
Lt.,

Nice video. My question is: where are all the other sailboats?

I also sail Port Royal Sound (from Hilton Head Island) raising sail upon leaving slip. The open water to the sea, or you can just sail in the sound and rivers. The dolphins love it but there are very few people out sailing! The few sailboats are usally the "snowbirds" motoring up and down the intracoastal. It is almost as bad as St. Augustine with so many boats in slips or moored.
You know? I have often wondered why more people are not out sailing here? It’s a beat most of the time, with a predominate south wind, but there is plenty room to tack and jibe? I just love sailing these waters. If not for the steel bridge at Lady’s Island it would be fun to race from the St. Helena sound to Port Royal sound, or from Beaufort to Hilton-head. "almost as bad as St. Augustine with so many boats in slips or moored"
This boat was sinking on a mooring ball in the river when I found her. $4,400.00 and 5 monthes later and she back in the wind
Old 08-27-2012
Tacky yet Unrefined

Squidd is on a distinguished road

I was out for the weekend, bouncing round the Chequamegon Bay, Lake Superior...

Was supposed to be Fog after Midnight and in the morning, So I sailed over to and anchored out by the Ashland Lighthouse to get some cool Fog Pics, round the light..

Here I am Coming in near sunset....Unfortunatly (???) no Fog in the morn, so no pics to show... Dang Sunny skys and fair winds...

Old 08-27-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by luck66 View Post
you could do better on your head sail trim.
I know you are right! I am still learning the ropes.
You see where I have the snatch block is? I was trying to move it forward on the toe rail to try and help. I have 3 sets of tel-tels and I was having a problem with luffing. Here is what I could not fix. I would get the bottom to stop luffing but 1/4 of the way to the top would luff. If I was able to get the luff out of the top the bottom would Luff?? I tried to tighten the leach line did not seem to help.
Thanks for your input. I was trying!! There were some time that all was going right. No so much in this video.

Last edited by ltgoshen; 08-27-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2012
First String

I will get better! :-)
Old 08-27-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Saturday afternoon had a nice sail with my daughter on lake Ponchartrain. Winds were brisk ahead of Issac (best so far since June). Beam reach out and in with a bit of swell but reefed to accommodate my nervous crew. Very nice sail with lots of time for father-daughter chat. Spent hours yesterday and today getting ready for the storm. My marina is pretty sheltered from the wind as its quite a ways up a bayou on the north shore of the lake. The real issue is the surge - this marina saw 9' during Katrina.