Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: My pet fear

My physics grad school research was on applications of High Voltage discharges, essentially man-made lightning so I know a bit about it. At 10 million volts, EVERYTHING conducts whether bonded or not. Bonding simply equalizes the potentials to avoid side strikes. An "ungrounded" boat is grounded as far as lightning strikes are concerned, a few mm of fiberglass or wood makes no difference. The entire purpose of a lightning ground is to provide a very easy path to ground so it follows that instead of going through a thru hull or similar
Once did a calculation of the probability of a lone sailboat underneath a thunderstorm getting hit. It is considerably higher than you'd expect. Insurance statistics in FL seem to verify my calculation although I forget the actual result.
Lightning does not necessarily go to the highest point around. Instead, once the conducting path gets within a couple hundred feet of earth, THEN it finds the easiest path, normally the highest point within a few hundred foot radius. This is why lightning often strikes the water instead of your boat, you just happen to not be within that few hundred foot radius where it will strike.
I am a doubtful agnostic on whether or not lightning dissipators work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

By definition you're only paranoid if nothing's out to get you, and since lightning isn't personal...I guess that makes you paranoid.

Me, I'm not paranoid about lightning. OTOH I'm well scared of it, because I know it is going to fry whatever it pleases, and cloud-to-ground strikes can come down 30 miles laterally from the center of a storm. I don't go camping and hiking on active volcanoes, either. I have no desire to be a crispie critter and when I've have to sail in lightning storms (because I'm caught out and can't get off the boat) I just try to cringe a lot and stay away from the most likely ground paths. I'd go overboard, but the strike still puts lethal voltage IN the water too.
Old 08-28-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Pftt, the chances of it are like getting hit by lightning. Oh, wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

GREAT NEWS!!!

I am selling this special metal hat that will protect the recipient from being struck by lightning. It consists of a very shiny metal that you form in the shape of a cone. There are then four wires trailing off of that with alligator clips. One clip goes to the hat, the other to your toe nails. It creates a Farraday Cage. I have named this hat the Wombatinator after a member here who is my biggest customer.

You get all this for $500, plus a 100% money back guarantee. If you get struck by lightning while wearing the hat (will require pics of you on Sailnet wearing the product to validify the warranty), then you get all your money back**. How can you go wrong??

Plus, a special for all Sailnet members who act fast: the first 100 members who order also get a bottle brush stuck to the top of their hat just like the "big yachts" have! Remember: Don't let the guy with the Hylas outdo you... show him you go a Wombatinator too!

Brian

• ** Warranty can only be claimed by original purchaser and must be alive to redeem. Agreeing to warranty terms automtically induces purchaser to Darwin Awards. Politicians are excluded from warranty as vacuums do not conduct electricity.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-28-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

and my royalty cheque is where ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-28-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
and my royalty cheque is where ?
As soon as you repay the bounced check (sorry cheque) fees, we can talk about a free grooming a the taxidermist of your choice.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-28-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Meh...I gotcha beat already. Found a company that sells electrically conductive fabric (taffetta with 35% copper). Buy enough to drape over the cockpit and attach to ground and U R Safe.
Old 08-28-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Ohforcryingoutloud.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The US buck isn't doing so good... better send him 2 for the price of 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Ohforcryingoutloud.
(apologies, Donna, on behalf of all of (the rest of) us.....)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-29-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
My physics grad school research was on applications of High Voltage discharges, essentially man-made lightning so I know a bit about it.

Well there's your problem! ^^^

You've spent too much time studying it.

You're more likely to get hit by another boater or get killed on the drive over to the boat. So relax a little.

If you can't, move to a place where it doesn't storm.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet