Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat without a mast

Removing the mast will increase rolling. The mast acts like a pendulum and decreases rolling. either keep the mast or buy a motor yacht.

A sailing yacht without a mast is not a good vision for the viewers also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

A good many people have been throwing out the alternative of a trawler instead of a mastless sailboat and if you are to go that route I do have a few words of caution.

So sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip, That started from a tropic port, aboard a tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure. Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour...a three hour tour. The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew the trawler would be lost.

So you see, if you are going to get a trawler instead you will also be required to get a fearless crew to ensure your safety thus making the trawler choice very expensive. I would opt out for the smaller sailboat with a stepable mast instead.

KIVALO likes this.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Old 08-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

All good points above that I won't repeat. I will add that the mast is a pricey item and destroying it will seriously devalue the boat. Do you plan to flush that money down the drain? You will not be able to sell a sailboat without a mast, as you are the one and only I've ever heard of being interested in one. Replacing it could be a seriously higher percentage of the boat's value than you might think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
All good points above that I won't repeat. I will add that the mast is a pricey item and destroying it will seriously devalue the boat. Do you plan to flush that money down the drain? You will not be able to sell a sailboat without a mast, as you are the one and only I've ever heard of being interested in one. Replacing it could be a seriously higher percentage of the boat's value than you might think.
Excellent point, as an example say you have a 25/26ft boat either a Columbia or a Pearson. If you are lucky you will be able to find a replacement mast for $3000. In some cases that will be what you spent on the boat in the first place. Get a bigger boat and the price goes up drastically.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Old 08-29-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

"Sailboat without a mast" is not a 'Sailboat'
AncientTech likes this.
Old 08-29-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusALilBitTwisted View Post
I read a piece on Fuel mileage Trawler v Sailboat, same trip same time of the year, in the End the Trawler spent 900% more then the Sailboat on Fuel and got the same mileage.
I think you're right that in general most any trawler is going to be less fuel efficient than a sailboat. But I am sure that if you get creative in looking around, you can find a little trawler that does remarkably well on fuel. And any trawler is going to be so much more comfortable and easier to motor full time than a sailboat.

For example, quick google search came up with this nifty looking 21 foot trawler.

Quote:
In the 31 days, we have traveled 3,977 miles and used 3,184 liters of fuel [841 gallons, or 4.7 miles per gallon],” says Kinard, who spoke to Soundings after arriving in France. “For this kind of navigation, this went exactly as I planned.
Tiny trawler crosses Atlantic
Old 08-29-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I love posts like these. It's akin to asking "I'm thinking of buying a hammer, and using it to install wood screws, what do you all think of this?"

Dude, buy the proper tool for your task instead of trying to (poorly) adapt the wrong tool to your intended task. Sailboats with their masts, often motor uncomfortably. I can't imagine doing a long trip without the mast.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-29-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Ditto what Bubblehead just said. Buying a sailboat to motor around with really does not make any sense at all.
Old 08-29-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what the benefit the OP sees in a sailboat over a power boat? If it's just cheap transportation, get an under powered power boat. Throw a 12 hp yanmar in it or something.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 08-29-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I love posts like these. It's akin to asking "I'm thinking of buying a hammer, and using it to install wood screws, what do you all think of this?"

Dude, buy the proper tool for your task instead of trying to (poorly) adapt the wrong tool to your intended task. Sailboats with their masts, often motor uncomfortably. I can't imagine doing a long trip without the mast.
Absolutely...

In addition, it's a pity these forums don't have some sort of software to prevent the initiation of such discussions without including at least some hint of the sort of BUDGET the poster has in mind... (grin) Unbelievable, how consistently these sort of "Which boat?" inquiries omit the single most important consideration in soliciting recommendations from strangers...

If I was looking to do the Great Loop on the cheap, I'd have a look at something like this Albin 27... Nice little boat, with a great engine for such a trip...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1852&url=

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.