Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat without a mast

In fairness, the OP asked a very narrow question which was overlooked by most, who just critiqued the overall idea (including me, but after giving my opinion on the question). He wasn't looking for feedback on "which boat"-- only

Quote:
Would removing the mast as described have any ill effects on the vessel?
Of course, nothing wrong with giving advice beyond that which is solicited. It's often helpful.
Mobnets likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalsteel View Post
Would removing the mast as described have any ill effects on the vessel?? Thanks Al.
Al,

I'll take a stab at giving a concise response:

- If you mean "will removal of the rig permanently damage the boat," then no.
- If you mean "will removal of the rig negatively effect it's seaworthiness," then yes.
- If you mean "will removal negatively effect the boat's value," it certainly will.

The first and third bullets above are pretty much self explanatory.

The middle one's the kicker.

A well designed sailboat's all about bringing opposing forces into balance. Take part of that design away, and the resulting imbalance will require you to make many compromises. I can tell you from personal experience that you'll find a rig-less keel boat to be a handful in even moderate conditions. And don't think that just because you are going to be in near-shore or inland waters you will be immune -- any large body of water with sufficient fetch will develop sea states that need to be respected.
Old 08-29-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
In fairness, the OP asked a very narrow question which was overlooked by most, who just critiqued the overall idea (including me, but after giving my opinion on the question). He wasn't looking for feedback on "which boat"-- only

Of course, nothing wrong with giving advice beyond that which is solicited. It's often helpful.
I did address his specific question- I said that the boat would ride uncomfortably. Removing most of the mast would harm the riding capabilities of the boat. That's why I suggested that he buy the proper tool for the job.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-29-2012
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Ditto what Bubblehead just said. Buying a sailboat to motor around with really does not make any sense at all.
Have seen a lot of people happily drop the stick to cruise the canals in Ontario. My slip neighbours just took their Bayfield 25 from Simcoe to Georgian Bay (they did bring the stick with).

But I have seen sailboats cruising the Rideau Canal without the stick - guess they left it at home.
Old 08-29-2012

trk2 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone actually experienced being aboard a sailboat with no mast? I've moved several sailboats between harbors for winter storage without masts, and the boats were all more stable without a mast. I think many people are assuming a sailboat without a mast behaves the same as a sailboat without any sails up and it's completely different. But this is all based on personal and a rather limited selection, but wide ranging type of boats (from a 27' sloop to a 58' hermaphrodite brig).
Old 08-29-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Has anyone actually experienced being aboard a sailboat with no mast? I've moved several sailboats between harbors for winter storage without masts, and the boats were all more stable without a mast. I think many people are assuming a sailboat without a mast behaves the same as a sailboat without any sails up and it's completely different. But this is all based on personal and a rather limited selection, but wide ranging type of boats (from a 27' sloop to a 58' hermaphrodite brig).
Trk,

Yes. I've done it twice: Once through the Erie Canal (from Catskill, NY to Tonawanda, NY); and once from Holland, MI to Mobile, AL. Both times, the mast was stowed horizontally above deck.

My initial thought was that with our 8800# of ballast in the keel, we'd be more stable; this was not the case.

In dead flat conditions, it's quite an enjoyable ride.

However, once the usual problems (pb wakes, chop, quartering or abeam seas, etc) come up then the boat's motion gets dicey.

As counter intuitive as it sounds, having the weight aloft really helps dampen the roll.
Old 08-29-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post

As counter intuitive as it sounds, having the weight aloft really helps dampen the roll.

Not really. The keel acts like a pendulum without the weight aloft since there's nothing to slow it down.

The builder of one of mine recommends pulling up the lead centerboard if the sails are not full to prevent the pendulum effect.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 08-29-2012

k_p_m is on a distinguished road

My guess is that the OP asked after having searched around some great loop sites. This being the one that stood out to me.

Choosing your Great Loop boat.

I would make the assumption he wants to take his time, enjoy the sights, and motor when there is nice weather, and think the answers should come from that viewpoint.
Mobnets likes this.
Old 08-29-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post

Quote:
Would removing the mast as described have any ill effects on the vessel?
Good point, you're right, of course...

However, I think it certainly would be helpful if the OP had offered some more specificity than simply "a used sailboat"... Giving at least a hint of size or budget might influence the sort of reply I'd be inclined to give...

If his idea of a "used sailboat" is something akin to a Catalina 27, for example, I'd strongly advise against such a plan... If his budget might allow for something more substantial like a Fisher motorsailer, however, or maybe a H-R Rasmus, that could be a whole different ballgame, such boats could be considered to be reasonably suitable for doing the Loop sans the rig...
Old 08-30-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

There are all kinds of concessions made in sailboats to make them sailboats that will sail well that are unnecessary in a power boat. Many of those concessions make for a kind of crappy boat, unless you're sailing. Narrow sterns, less cabin for less windage, small ports in case you get rolled, a cockpit in the back instead of a nice deck to fish from, and many others that I'm too tired to list. I think a powerboat makes a better powerboat.
It's doable, sure, but you're making compromises in comfort to gain nothing. Plus you'll have to answer a million dumb questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.