Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat without a mast

A dismasted sailboat (keelboat) will be adversely affected. This is a well-established fact as discovered and confirmed by some of the leading minds in sailing while investigating the Fastnet '79 disaster. Think of a metronome. Now remove the counterweight and cut the long stem off. With only the lower pendulum, that thing wiggles back and forth in maniacal fashion. Basically the same principle. The mast and rigging weigh less than the ballast, but exert a leveraging force to slow the motion against the force of the ballast. The effect will vary with each design, but the change is a fact.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 09-01-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013

DocParty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalsteel View Post
I'm new to this forum. Am planning to purchase a used 30' sailboat but I'm not interested in sailing. I would like to remove the mast except for about 8 feet for antenna mounting. Would like to do the great loop and not have to worry about a mast, also very economical cruising. Would removing the mast as described have any ill effects on the vessel?? Thanks Al.
I have been thinking about this same thing for a year. I've owned every type of vessel and I can say without exception a sailboat has more room in it than a power boat. My goal is to buy one and have the keel removed so that I have a smooth hull bottom. Without sails there will be no need for it or any ballast since loading up the boat with basic supplies will be sufficient. I'm not heading out for a long cruise or week long trip. Just great time on the water for a week at a time on Texas lakes. It needs to be able to be towed which is another reason I have decided to remove the keel. Looked at MacGreggors and they would be great but too expensive. I'm hoping to get one from a marina that has had to confiscate it due to non-paid slip fees and have them strip it of rigging and cut the keel off. I'll then trailer it to a fiberglass shop to have the bottom repaired from the keel removal and a new bottom job. Then it's off to my covered shop to start re-doing it from stem to stern. Keeping it simple will make it more user friendly. Motor will be a 40 hp outboard with steering cables and throttle/trans. I'm going to use a 'cajun' style stick steering so it's not in the way. That's my current thought.
What else can anyone offer me as I get closer to doing this?
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
A dismasted sailboat (keelboat) will be adversely affected. This is a well-established fact as discovered and confirmed by some of the leading minds in sailing while investigating the Fastnet '79 disaster. Think of a metronome. Now remove the counterweight and cut the long stem off. With only the lower pendulum, that thing wiggles back and forth in maniacal fashion. Basically the same principle. The mast and rigging weigh less than the ballast, but exert a leveraging force to slow the motion against the force of the ballast. The effect will vary with each design, but the change is a fact.
Maybe in big water, but on a Texas lake on a generally calm day, tooling around the place and fishing. It would not produce any ill effects IMHO.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
There are all kinds of concessions made in sailboats to make them sailboats that will sail well that are unnecessary in a power boat. Many of those concessions make for a kind of crappy boat, unless you're sailing. Narrow sterns, less cabin for less windage, small ports in case you get rolled, a cockpit in the back instead of a nice deck to fish from, and many others that I'm too tired to list. I think a powerboat makes a better powerboat.
It's doable, sure, but you're making compromises in comfort to gain nothing. Plus you'll have to answer a million dumb questions.
I have been in many MacGregors and under power or anchored off (without sails even being on the boat, mast removed as well) the boat operates just like a powerboat. I think some of the comments are made by purists of sailing which is okay but todays MacGregors can and do work perfectly under sail and pulling a skier with out board motor. So I kinda gotta take a lot of the discontent with a cup of salt.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I love posts like these. It's akin to asking "I'm thinking of buying a hammer, and using it to install wood screws, what do you all think of this?"

Dude, buy the proper tool for your task instead of trying to (poorly) adapt the wrong tool to your intended task. Sailboats with their masts, often motor uncomfortably. I can't imagine doing a long trip without the mast.
Lots of info here is foolish. You folks ever ride on a MacGregor, both under sail and under power pulling a skier? I have. It operates perfectly under either set up.
Old 02-13-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Might be easier to get a centerboard boat and a pair of wire cutters than remove a keel. Put boat in 6 feet of water, cut centerboard cable, remove pivot bolt and presto, ya got an unballasted sailboat hull.
Old 02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Might be easier to get a centerboard boat and a pair of wire cutters than remove a keel. Put boat in 6 feet of water, cut centerboard cable, remove pivot bolt and presto, ya got an unballasted sailboat hull.
Great advice if you find a sailboat that has such and meets whatever criteria you may have laid out. Swing keel's are easy to remove.
Old 02-14-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

There are also purpose built small 'trawlers' that were designed for this sort of thing that would do the job as well if not better, without having to 'butcher' anything.

North Sea 26, Davidson 'Chugger', Albin 25 to name a few. These will have similar accommodations, likely a slightly bigger powerplant and would be working as designed, not a modified misfit....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-14-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

This seems like an appropriate thread to post my latest "find".

1973 Columbia sailboat/pilothouse cruiser
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-14-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocParty View Post
I have been thinking about this same thing for a year. I've owned every type of vessel and I can say without exception a sailboat has more room in it than a power boat. My goal is to buy one and have the keel removed so that I have a smooth hull bottom. Without sails there will be no need for it or any ballast since loading up the boat with basic supplies will be sufficient. I'm not heading out for a long cruise or week long trip. Just great time on the water for a week at a time on Texas lakes. It needs to be able to be towed which is another reason I have decided to remove the keel. Looked at MacGreggors and they would be great but too expensive. I'm hoping to get one from a marina that has had to confiscate it due to non-paid slip fees and have them strip it of rigging and cut the keel off. I'll then trailer it to a fiberglass shop to have the bottom repaired from the keel removal and a new bottom job. Then it's off to my covered shop to start re-doing it from stem to stern. Keeping it simple will make it more user friendly. Motor will be a 40 hp outboard with steering cables and throttle/trans. I'm going to use a 'cajun' style stick steering so it's not in the way. That's my current thought.
What else can anyone offer me as I get closer to doing this?

Easy now, put down the chainsaw. I can't think of a simpler way to to get a power boat. you could do it the hard way and buy a powerboat and add the cajun steering then you could use it to catch Gators.
most of us here on SN are trying the best we can to keep the mast up.
Please take this discussion to the Sailless boat forum

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.