Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012

pedalsteel is on a distinguished road
Sailboat without a mast

I'm new to this forum. Am planning to purchase a used 30' sailboat but I'm not interested in sailing. I would like to remove the mast except for about 8 feet for antenna mounting. Would like to do the great loop and not have to worry about a mast, also very economical cruising. Would removing the mast as described have any ill effects on the vessel?? Thanks Al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat without a mast

no might actually balance it more. you plan on putting a bigger or more powerfull motor in? bigger fuel tank? sailboat are made to sail and not to motor 100% of the time.
Old 08-28-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

No, there's no reason why you can't remove the mast and just motor. Plenty of people transport sailboats in that manner.

However, sailboats are designed to sail. If all I wanted was to motor, I'd personally look at a trawler. You'll get a lot more comfortable of a boat if you get one that is designed to be motored.
Heinous likes this.
Old 08-28-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Of course, a sailboat is very unlikely to have as much internal volume and room for stores as a power boat of the same length, and sawing off the mast will deprive the boat of the ability to steady its motion via the sails or to save money by sailing.
-- And, cruising sailboats of that size usually have much more of a displacement hull design than powerboats and don't have room to install a much bigger engine, so a mast-less traditional sailboat would become a slow powerboat without the option of having a big engine to get out of trouble.
-- Also, you'd probably be paying to motor around with a big heavy lead or iron keel that isn't doing much to earn its deep, and which would restrict you from entering shallow water. (You could maybe saw off and sell a lead keel for good money, but then your boat would be even less stable.)
-- And powerboaters and sailors would probably both be suspicious of a boat that doesn't know which side it's on.
But, as "they" say, your sea miles may vary.

PS: Better than sawing off the mast would be saving it on land somewhere safe, so as to preserve a sailing option as well as the boat's resale value, or perhaps selling it -- the mast is worth a lot more as a mast than as some sort of hokey antenna support or whatever.

Last edited by rgscpat; 08-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I'm curious, why would you want a sailboat to motor with? Not that there is anything wrong it but it is somewhat counter-intuitive.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 08-28-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

A 35' sailboat with a Beta 16 diesel like and old C&C 35 I gets in the 14 MPG range in real life as i have been racing on one the last 5 years and we only keep a 10 gallon fuel tank

That being said there is NOTHING more rocky and uncomfortable than a sailboat without sails
519sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2012
Working for next Boat

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

I read a piece on Fuel mileage Trawler v Sailboat, same trip same time of the year, in the End the Trawler spent 900% more then the Sailboat on Fuel and got the same mileage.

You might find a motor-sailor that you can drop the mast from and install a 16' 4x4 as your antenna mount, Also your radar reflector, Steaming Light, Anchor Light ,cross bar for flags and Deck lights and it will be easy to drop if you need to get under something very low. Then when you get back you can put the mast back on and sell it .

Best of luck on your Trip, it is a Trip i would love to make myself. Fair Winds

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 08-28-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalsteel View Post
I'm new to this forum. Am planning to purchase a used 30' sailboat but I'm not interested in sailing. I would like to remove the mast except for about 8 feet for antenna mounting. Would like to do the great loop and not have to worry about a mast, also very economical cruising. Would removing the mast as described have any ill effects on the vessel?? Thanks Al.
If you're serious, and I have my doubts. I would recommend that even though you don't want to sail, you should leave the mast on the boat. If you are planning on passing under bridges that don't open, it would be possible and certainly more sensible to set up the mast to lower when you need to.

You don't have to sail it, but leave the mast on the boat. It will roll your guts out if you remove the spar.
chef2sail and MedSailor like this.
Old 08-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Buy a small trawler.. that's what it's designed to do. Sailboats (at least keelboats) without their rigs tend to be overly stable and will have a snappy, uncomfortable motion due to the loss of the inertia of the rig itself, never mind the stabilizing effect of the sails.

A small 'chugger' will have more volume, likely, and would be being used as intended.
knothead, chef2sail and paikea like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-29-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I'd get a sail boat that was small enough to lower and raise the mast by myself to not worry about the bridges, OR, as mentioned, a trawler style, possibly a pilot house motor sailor! I'd probably go with a trawler before a MS myself.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.