Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road
Just looked at a Cheoy Lee today...

Hey guys, so my hunt continues of course to get my first boat to spiff up and make my new traveling home.
I have been looking at 25-30' ranges and planned on staying in that range until,,

I found a 36 clipper cheoy lee for 2200$
shocking..... and as you can guess, needs a LOT of work.
However, this vessels beauty intrigued me enough to check her out and that I did.

I want to know what you think it will take for a guy like me with moderate income to help bring out her true beauty again.. I know the bigger the boat the more costly but,, Im in no rush to get out and go.

I have pictures I will post you guys,, I just wanna know what you think, if its worth the work for a novice like me. or will i just pour money into her, and be constantly broke.
She has:

-Perkins diesel that ran 4 months ago, somehow not now.
-sitka spars
-one of each sail in moderate condition (dirty)
-original wooden blocks
-been sitting behind a gentlemans house for 8 years

she does NOT have:
-a rudder
-working d/c electrical(cabin lights/ water pumps)
-the galley is missing! no cabinets, nothin just a stove which im not sure works
-head needs replacement kit along with pumps?
-a safe running / standing rigging set up
-settee cushions,
-ceiling is peeling?
-lots more cosmetics

shell have to be at a marina and thats the only thing worrying me is finding a monthly payment that will allow me to still save money for refurbishing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Re: Just looked at a Cheoy Lee today...

Pics? CL's are legendary boats but all of the fixes that you listed could add up to a sizable house payment. And those teak decks with a gazilion screws that could have been leaking these past many years? I don't know...

I dream of many boats, but I found one to learn on (Pearson 27) and have a few friends aboard. They have learned a thing or two as well. This boat was in "sail away" shape and I have STILL spent a few grand on her. I do not regret it at all. If that total were getting toward 10 grand, I might have a change of heart. We all have different budgets and goals. Do you want to sail and fix or just fix?
Old 08-28-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Use the following formula:
Make a list of immediate expenses including, moving the boat to the marina and
Monthly marina charges.
Write down a list of projects you can see the boat needs.
Make a guess of how much the materials will cost for each project and the hours to do the work.
Add that list all up and multiply by 3.
That is the absolute minimum it will cost.
How many hours per week can you devote to the projects
Divide that in half (shopping and research and life will interfere) divide that number into the hours * 3 above and you have the minimum number of weeks it will take.

Don't think for a moment that the times 3 represents any kind of cushion. It is still a minimum number and could easily be double that.

The reason is that for every thing you can see there will be at least two things that you will decide should be done but didn't make your list.
JimMcGee likes this.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-28-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2012

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

no teak deck. just a few spidercracks and some weird looking .. laminate?

itsaboat: nice thats basically what i wanted to do. i like pearsons interior it stands out. . and yes its a project but legendary and shes huge ,, but i like her looks

davidpm always offering great advice. i will do this math and become very disappointed.. haha but thank you . can you see these pics
Old 08-29-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

First boat? I would pass.

Please pardon me for being blunt, but I feel as if the type of person who would successfully complete a challenge like this would not be asking if he should take it on in an internet forum. The fact that you are asking suggests that there is much that you don't know about the work involved (nor do I...which is why my first [and current] boat was a pretty plain 27 footer in the Hyundai class.)

I don't know a whole lot about boats, but I'm pretty decent with money. My suggestion would be to take whatever you would spend on a boat now and put it away. Then take whatever monthly cash you would apply to a project boat and add that to your boat account while you search. Wait until you find a boat that is ready to sail at a price equal to the money you have on hand. Chances are this would occur before you would be able to splash a tired old boat renovated by your own hand.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 08-29-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

...I should add, that's a neat looking boat, and I don't blame you for taking an interest.
Old 08-29-2012

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road

When you figure out the bare minimum to sail the boat--repair motor, replace rigging, replace rudder, batteries, rewire, and you're not even to cabinetry or teak refinish or painting... you're already in the $15k boat range.

In this economy your money can go a lot farther. If you gave the guy $500 that would be generous.
Old 08-29-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

It wouldn't surprise me if the gentleman whose house it is sitting behind was thinking alot like you are. He was full of romantic notions of fixing up the old girl and sailing away!

Don't do it! That boat is not a beginner project! If you have never owned a boat before and have no experience with even basic boat maintenance, how are you going to do a full restoration?

Find yourself a boat that is ready to sail and go out SAILING! There will be no shortage of work to do even on a seaworthy boat, but at least you get the joy of sailing her to keep you motivated!

Leave the Cheoy Lee for an expert to restore to her original glory. Although even at $2200 she is still for sale, so it wouldn't surprise me if a few experts have walked away from that "bargain"!
Hull#101
Old 08-29-2012

DanielBoon is on a distinguished road

I agree with the post above, ask yourself, do you want to buy a boat to go sailing or do you want to spend the next five years of your life up to your armpits in sh*t, spending a fortune, screaming and shouting when a days work goes up in a puff of smoke because the engine still won't bloody start, etc. etc. etc.? Just by the description and the photos I can tell that this boat needs an absolute tonne of work, a new rudder to fabricate, probably a total re-wiring job, engine overhaul, upgrading ancient kit, winches are probably shot, rigging in need of replacing... and that is just enough to get her seaworthy. A smaller boat with a lot less work to be done can be purchased very reasonably so if I were you I would run and certainly don't look back; and this is me being half full about this project
Old 08-29-2012

ShockT I totally see your point. Okay I was just awed by her pirate-ship beauty.. haha I need to stick.with my original size.. and he did buy it for him and his son to fix up. Never happened. Ahh oh well...
Thanks for the input and focus of reality
RobGallagher likes this.