Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013

anthony1 is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailing - MacGregor or other is best?

Hello
Here is my 2cents worth
I curently own a McGregor/Venture 25 built in 1975, and it has a swing keel, and an 8hp honda outboard. I use it for day sailing like you would be and find it just right for me and my wife, we have had another couple with us on different occasions and find the cockpit comfortable. As for speed I can only get it to hull speed which is about 7knots either under sail or power, but that is just fine for me. It is beachable with the keel up or just motoring in thin waterways. I find the boat quite forgiving and I think it has more confidence in me than I have, that said if I was in the market for another boat I would seriously consider another one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

This thread is months old and it looks like the original poster was scared off, he never posted here again.
Old 02-01-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

That Macgregor marketing campaign sure strikes a cord with people. I thought it was too good to be true when I first researched the company, too.

Truth is having the "best of both worlds" like that boat only gives you about 50% of the sailing value and 50% of the powerboat value. As everyone says it's a niche market - you may just fit in that niche. The boats seem pricey though, for the size and quality.

I agree a swing-keel Catalina 22 or 25 or similar well-known swing keel boat that takes an outboard is your solution. As far as space above deck - in a sailboat you have the cockpit, and then you tip toe pretty much everywhere else.

Sailboats in that size range are meant to be fun to day-sail and compatible for racing, so most people don't feel that they are stable by any means - when they sail they like to be heeled over at an angle, even in light winds, it's what makes them go faster.
Old 02-01-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Continuing this Holy Thread Revival Tour, the common generalizations about MacGregors really only apply to the newer models from the past almost fifteen years or so, beginning with the X and M. The previous generations (C, D ; mid 80s through late 90s) had water ballast, but did not have the capacity for the big motor and did have better sailing qualities; and the Venture/MacGregors from before then had honest-to-goodness iron keels. Also, I believe the latest, M model, does have about 300#s of permanent ballast, in addition to the water ballast.

1973-1987 Venture/Macs 17 to 25 with weighted iron centerboard, about 500# crank-up cb on Mac 25s of the early 80s
1986-1990 26D Daggerboard, water ballast
1990-1995 26S swing centerboard, water ballast
1996-2004 26X power sailor, water ballast, big honking motor option, higher profile, flatter bottom, more windage, but sit-down dinette and stand-up head
2005-2013, 26M, slightly more of a sailboat with some #300 lb. permanent ballast in addition to water ballast, center board replaced with dagger board, more windows, a little heavier becaause of the permanent ballast
2013 Roger MacGregor announces retirement; business future of Mac yachts not certain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook