Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: WTH Chuckles? A freakin' mono????

sawingknots likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tdw; 09-03-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Smack, I don't go there all that often. Specifically popped in yesterday after seeing your post. Though Chuckles doesn't post here anymore I thought maybe folk might be interested. (edit tdw)

Mono or Multi ? I don't know. At some point I intend chartering a multi to get a better idea. For now I do know that a multi to equal what we already have would be twice as much money so yes that is a major factor. Limitations due to size (total beam) is also to be considered. I do have a sneaking suspicion that the right cat could be close to perfection but at the recent Sydney Boat show I didn't see it. Went close but not close enough.
(Not that I am thinking of a new boat, more than happy with the current Womboat thanks very much.)
Plenty of nutbags to go around I suppose. Again, it really doesn't matter to me.

On the multi-thing, when thinking about my wife and kids, and the way we sail right now...and when thinking about the offshore stuff I've done...the multi thing starts looking attractive.

It's fast. Very little heel and "motion" (i.e. - no one is puking all over the place). Lots of "room" (although Bum said this was not necessarily true in a multi) - maybe lots of spaces is a better description. It just starts sounding appealing to me.

That's why I was interested in Chuckles' take on his switch.

(BTW - I like Chuckles a lot. He's a stand-up guy. I hope to see him around here again someday.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by tdw; 09-03-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-02-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
I've never spent time on the SA forum before but decided to check it out to see what the hubbub was about. WOW SA makes SN look like CF.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-03-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

To maintain the integrity of this fine multi-a-mono thread...please mano-a-mano here.
chef2sail likes this.

Old 09-03-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Oh to hell with it .... I thought about writing something conciliatory but why bother.

Off Topic stuff has been excised.

If you want to squabble ... do as Smack says , take it to fight club.
Capt. Gary Randall likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-03-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

well put, gentlemen I couldn't have said it better myself...................CaptG ps:to keep within the topic sometimes it pays to remain catatonic before you get monoed......

[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!

Old 09-05-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Spoke with Chuck and I can confirm that is his new ride, as far as not posting here anymore this is what he said, Chuck wrote: "Simon, I long ago forgot my password and disabled the email I used on sailnet. I've sent the admin a email. I'll not go back and use another user name so it's up to them."
So there you go, I am sure something could be done............

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 09-05-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Spoke with Chuck and I can confirm that is his new ride, as far as not posting here anymore this is what he said, Chuck wrote: "Simon, I long ago forgot my password and disabled the email I used on sailnet. I've sent the admin a email. I'll not go back and use another user name so it's up to them."
So there you go, I am sure something could be done............
Thanks for the follow up Simon. I hope they get it squared away.

In the mean time, tell him congrats on the new ride.

Old 09-07-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Speaking of followup

TDW was nice enough to set me to rights. I've dropped in from time to time while I was busy moderating over on A-S.. Just decided to better focus my limited time in one place. I also needed to get away from the politics and b.s. that comes with forums of any type.

Yep, MMR and I went back to the mono hull side.
The reasons were many and varied - let me say first of all that there is nothing at all wrong with the Gemini it does everything it is designed to do.
We decided we wanted a heavier boat that could carry a cruising load without significant performance hits.

This Irwin 38 Mk II center cockpit is an immaculatly maintained dock queen with an barrier coated bottom, 600 hours on the 25 year old Yanny 44 and lots of custom comfort type upgrades - at a steal of a deal. We've been looking, we decided to leap.

We decided that our cruising kitty would spit less hair balls if the boat was paid for versus still making payments.

When we took it out for a sea trial she held 45-50 off the wind doing 5.1 in a steady 8 (knots). The first time she heeled over (after we fell off to raise sails) MMR actually sighed with relief to be feeling one with the boat again. Gemini's being only 14 feet wide do in fact heel, but don't have the same feel.

BTW, Gemini's hold their value quite well thank you.

I'll be around, lots of upgrades and fiddling to talk about.
Old 09-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nice to 'see' you here, Chuckles, and congrats on the new ride.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)