Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: WTH Chuckles? A freakin' mono????

Chuckles - congrats. Seriously.

I started this thread because I've been starting to consider multis over monos as our "long-term" cruising boat. There are lots of reasons for this....

1. YOU! You've always talked about the "relaxing" nature of sailing the Gemini. I've done a few ocean runs on monos now and, though I love it, thinking about my wife and kids and how they'd hold up, I started seeing the benefit of a more chilled out passage. This was really backed up in the first 50 seconds of this interview I found with Peter Johnstone:

2. Speed. I've been watching the ACWS and really enjoying the speed of these cats. Thinking about all the work we put into squeezing 7 knots out of the monos I've crewed on in the races - then watching these things easily hit 25!!!! in the races just blows my mind. I see double digit speed coming out of cruising cats all the time. For me, that's sexy.

I even bought and restored an old beach cat to start practicing and tasting that delicious speed under sail (just about finished on the restore):

3. Space. This is the strange part that I'd like more feedback on. I read an article by Pat Schulte where he said that cats are the best cruising platform hands-down...except for price and space. The space part surprised me. I thought that cats offered more "space" than monos by default (more berths, bigger cockpit/dinette, etc.). But with your comment about stowage being an issue - and the hit the performance takes when loaded, I'm wondering what the nuances are here. It's all a little confusing.

So I was just hoping to pick your brain a bit more as the dude who's done it all.

In any case, I'm glad you've found the boat that works for you guys. Hearing that MMR sighed at the heel is gold. Pure gold. Maybe a slanty 7 knots isn't so bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-07-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Smack, for me the real bottom line came in weight carrying part.

Gem's PPI (pounds per inch) of immersion is 450 per hull - when the time comes to be a liveaboard that matters.
Fuel is 36 x 8, water is 60 x 7.5 etc.. add in a half tooth brush or two (cruising gear and food) and you've sunk the boat down 2 - 4 inches on the water line.
Do that and the speed is the same as a mono, constrained by hull length.

Do the same to an old shoe center cockpit and you've got an ice maker for the sundowner.

Not saying the Gemini doesn't work - after all Slapdash JUST completed a circumnav.
The Slapdash | No Fixed Address
In short - it's a long list of pro's and con's; we decided to switch to a different ride.
erps likes this.
Old 09-07-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Just a quick comment on space..since you mention that specifically.
The Gemini is a 33.5 foot boat that fits in a 15 foot wide slip - so for space over length - can't beat it.
Show me a 33.5 mono with 3 private cabins, the master cabin having a queen sized berth, seats 8, a head you can USE - can't do it.
Old 09-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I've seen liveaboard Geminis in the Caribbean with serious 'down on her lines' syndrome, esp when davits and arches, etc are added.

So I see your point....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-07-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Awesome. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Makes perfect sense.

I'll just have to go with the Gunboat 66.

Old 09-07-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Not saying the Gemini doesn't work - after all Slapdash JUST completed a circumnav.
The Slapdash | No Fixed Address
Oh great. Another freakin' blog I'm going to have to read from start to finish.

See you guys in 3 weeks.

Old 09-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
.....See you guys in 3 weeks.
.... promise?

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 09-07-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
.... promise?
Heh-heh.

What are you saying, faster?

Old 09-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Heh-heh.

What are you saying, faster?
..What??... did I say that out loud???
smackdaddy likes this.

Old 09-07-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

A nice pro/con thread. I think if one boat was clearly superior over the other boat, there wouldn't be other boats anymore. Congratulations Chuck and Mary on the new to you boat. It looks very nice.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.