Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Re: WTH Chuckles? A freakin' mono????

I might as well weigh in also!

When we were thinking through this decision, we tried to focus on features that we felt would make transition to and maintenance of a live-aboard status workable for the two of us.

Carrying weight was the issue for livability, as well as really limited stand up interior living space in the Gem. Great for younger folks - less wonderful for us. We will miss the "one level" living of the Gem, but feel like access to the larger useable "living space" of our Irwin is a good trade off.

Underway comfort was a huge factor. We had the Gem out in several small craft advisories and frankly, while the boat did great, we got the crap pounded out of us. That's a function of the low bridge deck (every wave is a SLAM on the bottom) and the beam (14ft). Most likely this was a particular Chesapeake Bay issue, with the smaller period chop and power boat wakes. (When I did the delivery of s/v Felix with Dan we did open ocean from Cape May to Block Island and the Gem was a comfortable ride in pretty big swells.) A larger cat would not have those issues, and would have better cockpit seating for underway. In fact, we're seeing lots of larger (38, 40, 46, 50 ft) cats on the Bay in the last year or so.

I was surprised and delighted at the feel of the water/wind when I took the helm of the Irwin. I had forgotten what fun it was to feel the wind in the sails and the responsiveness of the rudder/boat. Its the difference between a Cadillac ride and a sports car hugging the road. One's a smooth ride: the other's fun to drive!

Our ideal boat is a Voyage 44 or something similar. A cat that size would eliminate the underway and living space issues above, but add significant cost to the equation. Not going to happen with our budget.

So. We compromised. I'm deeply sad to see the Gem go, but focusing fiercely on making the Irwin a home, because getting out there is the whole point.
Jeff_H, Faster, erps and 2 others like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR View Post
I might as well weigh in also!

When we were thinking through this decision, we tried to focus on features that we felt would make transition to and maintenance of a live-aboard status workable for the two of us.

Carrying weight was the issue for livability, as well as really limited stand up interior living space in the Gem. Great for younger folks - less wonderful for us. We will miss the "one level" living of the Gem, but feel like access to the larger useable "living space" of our Irwin is a good trade off.

Underway comfort was a huge factor. We had the Gem out in several small craft advisories and frankly, while the boat did great, we got the crap pounded out of us. That's a function of the low bridge deck (every wave is a SLAM on the bottom) and the beam (14ft). Most likely this was a particular Chesapeake Bay issue, with the smaller period chop and power boat wakes. (When I did the delivery of s/v Felix with Dan we did open ocean from Cape May to Block Island and the Gem was a comfortable ride in pretty big swells.) A larger cat would not have those issues, and would have better cockpit seating for underway. In fact, we're seeing lots of larger (38, 40, 46, 50 ft) cats on the Bay in the last year or so.

I was surprised and delighted at the feel of the water/wind when I took the helm of the Irwin. I had forgotten what fun it was to feel the wind in the sails and the responsiveness of the rudder/boat. Its the difference between a Cadillac ride and a sports car hugging the road. One's a smooth ride: the other's fun to drive!

Our ideal boat is a Voyage 44 or something similar. A cat that size would eliminate the underway and living space issues above, but add significant cost to the equation. Not going to happen with our budget.

So. We compromised. I'm deeply sad to see the Gem go, but focusing fiercely on making the Irwin a home, because getting out there is the whole point.
THIS IS GREAT FEEDBACK.

It's going into the Salt's thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-07-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Wow Chuckles.

Have a good time.

Did you advertise on the yahoo site when you decided to sell?
Old 09-08-2012

NautiG is on a distinguished road

WTF!!! Am I going to learn next that Sailing Dog traded in his telstar for a trawler?

Scott
Gemini Catamaran
Old 09-20-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Not saying the Gemini doesn't work - after all Slapdash JUST completed a circumnav.
The Slapdash | No Fixed Address
Just finished the blog.

GREAT READ!!! That Gemini is a real Honey Badger!
MMR likes this.

Old 09-20-2012

Smack

If you can stand it, and haven't read it, another Gemini blog is SV Footprint (Begonia)

By stand it, I mean going through the entire long blog, and also the ending of the story.
Old 09-20-2012
Last Man Standing

Another one???

Good lord woman! You're killin' me!
MMR likes this.

Old 09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Another one???

Good lord woman! You're killin' me!
Look at it this way: winter is coming - you need some reading material to tide you over until spring!
Old 09-21-2012
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about

Smack, If you want a real Catamaran experience, go to Florida and rent a 40 something cat or a Gemini and take it to Bimini. Great crossing, and great fun. Split the cost with 7 of your closest friends and you can do it for 900 a head plus airfare. You'll know pretty quickly if a cat is for you when you get out in the gulf stream.

As for seasickness, it happens on a cat. Last trip one of the other boats had 5 out of 8 go down in the first hour. That left one of the less experienced crew driving the slowest boat. The result was a 12 hour trip that took the rest of us 9, and no one got better until they tied up.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-21-2012

Don Novello is on a distinguished road

nice boat!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.