SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

WTH Chuckles? A freakin' mono????

7K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  chucklesR 
#1 ·
Okay - so I heard through the grapevine that a certain "ChucklesR" (the resident multi sailor) just sprung for a mono.

WHAT THE HELL???????

I've been seriously considering a multi as our first real cruising boat...and you sell out?

You have some 'splainin' to do.

#42 ·
Xort, you mean this bad boy???

Booyah!

So THAT's what changed his mind...
But, we have much more space plus our weight makes a much smoother ride in rough seas. Our friend Chuck rode with us from Norfolk north in June with 30k wind & 8' seas. He has a catamaran, and after riding with us in the rough stuff is considering a switch to our type of boat.

#47 ·
Yes it is. Works very well in fact. Did it for about a half hour during my one week sailing school at Blue Water Sailing School on a 42 foot cat. We tore a jib car out of the track on a MOB drill, so I tacked then hove to. After the fix we went life jacket hunting. :)

#49 ·
Heaving too is about balancing the sails - works the same on a catamaran.
You do get wind tunneling between the hulls - but really the effect is no more than wind hitting first one side then the other of a mono - you simply balance for it.

Smack - yes, the ride on Xort's boat made up part of my decision.

On the other hand, this is a Gemini sailing in similar conditions:

and this:

Nothing wrong with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.