SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   WTH Chuckles? A freakin' mono???? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/91578-wth-chuckles-freakin-mono.html)

smackdaddy 09-01-2012 01:00 AM

WTH Chuckles? A freakin' mono????

Okay - so I heard through the grapevine that a certain "ChucklesR" (the resident multi sailor) just sprung for a mono.

WHAT THE HELL???????

I've been seriously considering a multi as our first real cruising boat...and you sell out?

You have some 'splainin' to do.

tdw 09-01-2012 02:08 AM

Re: WTH Chuckles? A freakin' mono????

wow.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/HPIM3760.jpg

Serious crusing boats don't need training wheels Smack.

Tell you what though if I was over your way I'd be having a good look at Imagine's old ride. Maybe not a Gunboat but I always liked the look of her.

smackdaddy 09-01-2012 11:50 AM

Wow. Never thought I'd see the day!

Honestly I'm just curious why he moved to a mono. I read a great article by Bumfuzzle comparing a multi to mono for long-term cruising. He laid out some very good comparisons that I'd not seen before. And he came down solidly on the side of the multi - except for the price tag.

If you run across him, ask him about it will ya?

knothead 09-01-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 916750)

Honestly I'm just curious why he moved to a mono. I read a great article by Bumfuzzle comparing a multi to mono for long-term cruising. He laid out some very good comparisons that I'd not seen before. And he came down solidly on the side of the multi - except for the price tag.

<edit tdw>

On the mono. Everyone has to grow up someday. :D

smackdaddy 09-01-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 916763)
They still won't let you back in their sandbox? Sheesh. No wonder they aren't growing.

It's true that I am critical to any forum's success. Heh-heh.

<edit tdw>
Anyway, no biggie. I belong to all the significant sailing forums...with SN being my fave. So it's all good.

CapnBilll 09-01-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 916664)
wow.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/HPIM3760.jpg

Serious crusing boats don't need training wheels Smack.

Tell you what though if I was over your way I'd be having a good look at Imagine's old ride. Maybe not a Gunboat but I always liked the look of her.

GOOD WORK! My bags are packed, when do we sail?:)

zeehag 09-01-2012 05:38 PM

lots of room ...... but is an irwin....... hhmmmmmmmmm.....

not bad lookin- have fun and smooth sailing.

tdw 09-01-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Smack, I don't go there all that often. Specifically popped in yesterday after seeing your post. Though Chuckles doesn't post here anymore I thought maybe folk might be interested. <edit tdw>

Mono or Multi ? I don't know. At some point I intend chartering a multi to get a better idea. For now I do know that a multi to equal what we already have would be twice as much money so yes that is a major factor. Limitations due to size (total beam) is also to be considered. I do have a sneaking suspicion that the right cat could be close to perfection but at the recent Sydney Boat show I didn't see it. Went close but not close enough.
(Not that I am thinking of a new boat, more than happy with the current Womboat thanks very much.)

therapy23 09-01-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Must have been the money.

No way I would try it "the old way".

I'm too old.

If I was ready I would be all over Imagine. Once I was sure of the standing head room...............

CalebD 09-01-2012 11:54 PM

Well. That is news.
Chuck and Mary must be thinking of setting off on some serious cruising.
I had no idea that they had in any way decided to let their Gemini (?) go to a new owner. I only met them in real life once a couple of years ago but I can tell you that they are both extremely nice people and also quite intelligent. At the time I met them they seemed quite happy with the Gemini, which was quite luxurious and seemingly brand new.
I'd hope they got a pretty penny for the Gemini which allowed them to get the monohull.
Seasons change and so do I. You need not wonder why.