SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   A boat story (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/91598-boat-story.html)

GC20Squid 09-01-2012 06:18 PM

A boat story

Once upon a time, I found a boat. After much saving and shopping and cajoling of my wife, I bought a Hunter 25 that was perfect for my needs and budget. It was clean, the motor started, the sails were intact, it just needed a little freshening up since the previous owner hadn't had time to mess with it lately.

When I went to move it across the bay to its new slip, the main halyard parted. The jib halyard was equally worn, so rather than stress it I just motored it across.

A few short days after reaching the new marina, before I had a chance to do any work to it, I found a very compelling reason to initiate a divorce. And so the boat sat, my priorities and resources being elsewhere needed. I made everything fast and prepared to go sailing "later". I couldn't lower and stow the jib, however, because the stainless shackle holding it into the roller furler was frozen. I wound it as tight as I could and tied it off. A freak windstorm came along one day and unrolled a small corner of the jib. Flog. Flog. Goodbye backstay.

Now we didn't just need a couple of new halyards. We needed new standing and running rigging, and professional sail- and furler- work. The soon-to-be-ex didn't know this, however.

Divorce mediation comes. She goes for the heart, knowing how I had dreamed and saved for that boat, despite her frequently voice complete lack of interest in sailing. I let it go, knowing it's more of a liability than an asset. She wants to take the boat as punishment, so I take other assets in exchange. We both "win".

Fast forward three years:
I have a more intelligent, more attractive, more emotionally stable, FAITHFUL wife who shares my dream of sailing. I have a brilliant 10 month old son. I'm shopping for the new boat. To be continued.

kd3pc 09-01-2012 06:54 PM

Re: A boat story

Quote:

Originally Posted by GC20Squid (Post 916836)
I have a more intelligent, more attractive, more emotionally stable, FAITHFUL wife who shares my dream of sailing. I have a brilliant 10 month old son. I'm shopping for the new boat. To be continued.

I was lucky, I got this kind of woman on my first go....

Our story...we moved from way inland to be closer to "her" parents after the MiL had a heart attack and were heading well in to their 70's. After one weekend of being demoted from a bedroom at the in laws to a patch on the floor, whilst the grandkids got the beds....I told my wife that if we were going to be staying with them long....I would not survive being treated this way...

So I offered to pick up an older Sabre 28 over in Urbanna....and off we (the FiL, myself and the wife) go to check it out. Although she loved the little boat and it was in great shape, she said it was too small and if we were going to buy a boat, it had to have AC/Heat and a berth for the two of us.

Luckily I had seen a Sabre 38 on Norton's list a few weeks before while looking for a 28. They still had it, it was available for viewing and was well priced, the PO had traded it on a new hunter.

We saw it, and put a contract on it that afternoon, and were aboard our new boat within two weeks. It was luxurious compared to staying with the in-laws and any time things got chaotic, I could be at the boat in minutes.

Still with the same woman, have been for 25 years now, although she liked the Sabre = crawling over me and in and out of the vberth was too much, and on her orders we sold the Sabre and moved aboard a Hunter P42 for several years.

Sublime 09-01-2012 11:36 PM

Good luck in your search for a new boat.

GC20Squid 09-02-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd3pc (Post 916854)
I was lucky, I got this kind of woman on my first go....

Nice, that is lucky!

Not sure what my intent was in telling the story, but I'm certainly not bitter. :D Maybe it was that what appeared to be perfect for me, (boat, first wife) was actually in bad shape and due for a trade in.

And thanks, Sublime!

PorFin 09-02-2012 11:25 AM

If only there were such a thing as pre-wedding surveys... ;)

All joshing aside, congrats on your marriage 2.0 and here's to hoping that boat owner 2.0 goes just as well.

GC20Squid 09-02-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorFin (Post 917059)
If only there were such a thing as pre-wedding surveys... ;)

I'm LMAO at that!

"Yeah, she seems structurally pretty sound, but starting to oil-can a bit in the rear there, and there's a little sag in the deck over the bow. Probably needs a little spit-and-polish overall. Produces a lot of exhaust under power, up to you if you think you can tolerate that. Should be a forgiving, if not thrilling, ride under way. Only serious cause for concern is the number of previous captains she's had, and the lack of complete logs for some stretches of time."

TakeFive 09-02-2012 09:40 PM

I can think of no better revenge on an ex-wife than "giving" her a boat that needs major work - especially if you got a maintenance free item of value in exchange. Sounds like she really stepped into that one! :laugher

I'm glad your redo is working out better.

sailortrash 09-04-2012 02:52 AM

Crodudolances on the now ex wife

Flybyknight 09-04-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GC20Squid (Post 917021)

was actually in bad shape and due for a trade in.

I like that line!

gus_452000 09-04-2012 10:11 AM

Ah my colonial brothers, how strange your laws are at times to us from the old country :-)

I once got a letter 2 days after returning from whisking my wife away (to be know hence with as the “old boat”) for a weekend in Paris a letter from her solicitors, saying she was divorcing me:-( No not the best of news I agree, but such is life, her claims where simple, she wanted the house, I should pay half the mortgage. Simple as I say, but she made no claim for our four children.

I was stowed on to the sofa for six months whilst the divorce went through, needless to say there was some heavy water (although there was quite a bit of familiarity that did leave me some what confused at times!) However I digress, the day of the court arrived, the “old boat” went with the mother and father in law, and off I went.

To cut the story short, here is what happened:

1) I had simply asked from her the children (I got full custody, she had failed to mention the children in her divorce letter or proceedings!)
2) I was given the house, the judge deciding that the children needed somewhere to live.
3) she has to pay maintenance to myself for her own children (although getting money out of someone who doesn’t work and hasn’t worked in 20 years is a little hard)
4) she was permitted to keep the car we had bought 10 months earlier for her along with the finance that went with it!

Did I think I had much of a chance at the start, no, but he who dares!

I now own my first beautiful yacht the kids and I love sailing on her and learning as we sail around the Mediterranean , things are very good, all the junior crew are doing very well academically and nautically. I couldn’t be happier I still miss the “old boat” occasionally but not often, my junior crew say I have “upgraded” which I quite like. As for a "new boat" I now have younger model where I stow my anchor which has a better aspect, no bottom blisters (on this one), all the fittings are original and in excellent condition for her age, she turns many a sailors head and this one says thank you when I take her to Paris!

That’s how we do it in the UK, but it takes a big pair to see it through.