Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012

cdhickey is on a distinguished road
American sailor dies off the coast of Newfoundland

A sad story from this weekend. Radio reports this morning said that he was knocked overboard by a rogue wave. The wave also damaged the steering control which prevented the boat from circling back to get him right away. Even after a warm summer, those waters are mighty cold and time is of the essence.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tality-903.htm
Old 09-03-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road
Re: American sailor dies off the coast of Newfoundland

He didn't die at his desk working.
HDChopper and AncientTech like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Wow, that's shocking news, indeed... Ned Cabot was one of my cruising idols, a hugely experienced sailor with some very impressive high-latitude voyages to his credit... His trips to places like Greenland and Svalbard aboard his J-46 CIELITA have been documented in OCEAN NAVIGATOR over the years. I saw the boat in Baddeck once, but never had the pleasure of meeting him...

Here's another link. Sounds like he was either not clipped on at the time of the knockdown - he'd just come on deck to take his turn at the helm - or there was a failure of his gear... What rotten luck for the boat to have suffered steering damage as well that prevented maneuvering to recover him, I'm sure his crew would have been capable of doing so, assuming he'd not been injured...

This is a real loss to the community of sailors, thoughts to his family and friends...

Edmund B. Cabot, Brahmin scion and avid yachtsman, drowns off Newfoundland - Metro Desk - Local news updates from The Boston Globe

Last edited by JonEisberg; 09-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2012

jtaylo9576 is on a distinguished road

Was there an emergency tiller on board? There is no mention of the rudder being damaged just the steering chain having snapped. The emergency tiller on our yacht seats directly onto the rudder. What were the weather conditions and how experienced of a crew did he have on board? Very sorry for the loss of such a fine sailor. Would like to know more of how this came to be.
Old 09-03-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylo9576 View Post
Was there an emergency tiller on board? There is no mention of the rudder being damaged just the steering chain having snapped. The emergency tiller on our yacht seats directly onto the rudder. What were the weather conditions and how experienced of a crew did he have on board? Very sorry for the loss of such a fine sailor. Would like to know more of how this came to be.
The article that JohnEisber linked to mentions an emergency tiller. Apparently it was enough get the boat back to port but not to get the MOB. Considering the conditions were bad enough to break the steering chain, I would say that steering in THOSE conditions with an emergency tiller would be difficult to say the least. Also the helmsman was also swept overboard (and back aboard) so I imagine they lost sight of the MOB during the fray. Locating him again would be difficult.....

I'm becoming more and more fond of the idea of carrying a waterproof VHF on your pfd. It seems much more likely that the MOB could see the boat he fell off (and direct it to him) than the boat seeing the MOB.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylo9576 View Post
As this report indicates:
Quote:
The Canadian Coast Guard began a search by helicopter, airplane, and boat that continued overnight, but they were unable to recover Cabotís body until early this morning. Cabotís friends rigged an emergency tiller that allowed them to control the Cielita somewhat, and were able to bring the sloop into port, Ellis said.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 09-03-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Very sad. Makes you realize that it can happen to any of us. If Oceanus says your time is up...it's up.
Old 09-03-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Man, that sucks. RIP.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-03-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear of you loss, at leasted he died doing what he loved. We all take our chances with mother nature some lose and some win. Its a crap shute out their.
Old 09-04-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

ISAF offshore rules require a solid place to clip in next to the companionway, so that you are always clipped in even as you go above decks. Always seemed a little overboard to me (no pun intended), until I read this...