SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Solo bareboat in Newport

831 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  acunningham 
#1 ·
I'm in Newport, Rhode Island, for a few days on my own and would of course like to do some sailing. I'm not an especially experienced sailor, but am not a complete neophyte either - I've done the ASA courses up to 104 and have skippered a few times on inshore waters. One thing I'd like to do which I've never tried is sail solo. Would anyone have any recommendations on a suitable boat to rent for a few hours? I'm thinking perhaps a Rhodes 19 from Sail Newport:

Sailboat Rentals

Does this sound feasible? In particular how easy is it to work the jib sheets from the tiller position?

#2 ·
Piece of cake! go for it. Rhodes 19 is an easy boat to sail. You can cleat off the main and handle the jib sheets from the helm (with a tiller extension). Here is a link to a photo of the deck arrangement. The jib sheets are on the 'cabin top". The tiller is not shown in this photo, but you should not have a problem.

Oct 18, 2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.