Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012

Vartok is on a distinguished road
Re: V Berth Mattress

Camping mats cut to fit on the bottom. Five 1-1/2" foam toppers cut to fit on top. I live aboard and have been sleeping on this for a few years. I've been thinking of upgrading since thicker toppers are now available. They sleep well, but I like a firm bed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

We use a 6 inch latex mattress with the Froli system. We do like the Froli system.

We originally tried a 3 inch memory foam topper but found it way too hot to sleep on. I did see a company now makes a memory foam bed that stays cool, and if they come out with a topper that stays cool I make try it again, but we are happy with what we have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I don't get the hot thing with memory foam at all, but I have heard it before. We put a standard mattress pad and sheets over it. Notice absolutely no difference. I can't figure how you could.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-07-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I had 2" memory foam toppers and just went to 4". Made a huge difference. It feels,like a new mattress, not just a softer lousy mattress. Don't get anything less than 4". Easy to cut to size with a bread knife, although, an electric carving knife would be better. I got mine at overstock.com
+1

Overstock is way better than anything you will find at Wal-Mart, and in the end cheaper.

If your foam pads are shot, why not get one of the RV mattresses?

Memory Foam 5-pound Density 10-inch Full/ Double-size RV/ Truck Component Sleep System | Overstock.com

This way you could cut it out to shape and replace the foam in the cushions you have now. This gives you a couple of choices of foam thickness to match what was in there. You might even be able to use the remaining foam to replace the settee foam. That way when it was not made up you could not even tell, and you don't have to put away the topper.

One last thing, if you go to almost any goodwill they will have an electric knife for around $2. I think every married couple from the 50's to the 70's got one as a wedding gift and get donated quite often, normally never or infrequently used.
Old 09-07-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

This is what I am planning on cutting up. Someone else posted it in the low-buck thread I think. I would also like to get the froli especially after all the good reviews I have seen on here now.

The Foam Factory, Mattresses, Conventional Foam
Old 09-07-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't get the hot thing with memory foam at all, but I have heard it before. We put a standard mattress pad and sheets over it. Notice absolutely no difference. I can't figure how you could.
Little warmer in Florida than Rhode Island, and maybe it was just me, but I find memory foam too hot to sleep on.

Old 09-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Little warmer in Florida than Rhode Island, and maybe it was just me, but I find memory foam too hot to sleep on.
You're not alone.

I have a real Temperpedic at home and the topper on the boat. Both air conditioned, which may be the trick. Although, we aren't running the AC on the hook and, while typically hot, I haven't attributed it to the mattress.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBones View Post
This is what I am planning on cutting up. Someone else posted it in the low-buck thread I think. I would also like to get the froli especially after all the good reviews I have seen on here now.

The Foam Factory, Mattresses, Conventional Foam
Don't think that's memory foam, but you may not be looking for it either. For what its worth, I've heard many rave about a good topper of one kind or another. I can't recall anyone raving about any upgrade to the mattress itself, even after paying a lot of money. Someone may chime in an correct that here.

I spent $130 on the topper and LOVE it. Had a buddy across the marina that had a custom mattress made for thousands and hardly notices the difference. He will be adding the $130 topper.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-07-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

You sink into memory foam and it seems to close off air circulation, leading to sweaty sticky sheets when I've tried it. For the boat, we went with the Froli setup. The pieces go together so that you can adjust the amount of "spring" to individual preferences, and the kit includes an assortment of different sized interlocking pieces that should be able to match just about any shape & size.
Old 09-08-2012

Dog8It is on a distinguished road

Just finished replacing foam for all cushions and mattresses of our 35 ft boat. Turned out easier than i thought.

For the V berth i would recommend the following:
1. Froli system as the base.
2. Replace foam using Foam Factory. They can even cut to the V berth dimensions. [URL="http://www.foambymail.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CSDIM&Store_Code=FF&category_id=19&shape_id=8"]
3. Top it off with Simmons Beautyrest Geo Incline Foam Topper from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/FASTTRACK-Simmons-Beutyrest-Geo-Incline-Foam-Topper/15581054

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35

Qui craint le danger ne doit pas aller en mer.
He who fears danger should not go to sea.
(French proverb)