SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   V Berth Mattress (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/91770-v-berth-mattress.html)

calmharbor 09-06-2012 12:10 AM

V Berth Mattress

I have an older 30 ft sailboat with the normal approximately 4" thick cushions in the V-berth.
I want to improve the comfort but do not want to replace the cushions because the fabric matches the decor of the boat. I want to improve the
sleeping comfort and was thinking about purchasing some type of foam pad to put on top of the cushions. If others have done this what thickness and type of foam did you use? Thanks Calmharbor.

PaulinVictoria 09-06-2012 12:38 AM

Re: V Berth Mattress

I was thinking about this, although as it turns out the new foam we put on is very comfy. Anyway, I was looking at memory foam toppers, about 3" thick. Easily cut to size, pretty cheap to buy (under $100).

Cal28 09-06-2012 12:55 AM

no matter what you end up doing for matress/padding ... I would highly recommend investing in a Froli system for beneath ... works wonders and provides the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on ...

note: in no way connected with the company ... just been sleeping on one for over two years ...

Minnewaska 09-06-2012 01:39 AM

I had 2" memory foam toppers and just went to 4". Made a huge difference. It feels,like a new mattress, not just a softer lousy mattress. Don't get anything less than 4". Easy to cut to size with a bread knife, although, an electric carving knife would be better. I got mine at overstock.com

wouldrathersail 09-06-2012 03:55 AM

I can second the Froli system. Not an inexpensive option, but keeps the mattress dry underneath, and adds a nice feel when sleeping on it. When we switched our our original boat mattress with a 10" 'tempur' knock off (trimmed to size with an electric knife) the benefits of the froli are reduced, but does still keep the mattress dry underneath. I think the boat mattress with the Froli was more comfortable than the tempur. The topper sounds like a good idea too, but that would cover up your matching fabric.

Tempest 09-06-2012 07:10 AM

I went with a 1 1/2" memory foam topper ( full size) ( wally mart) I keep a regular size fitted sheet on it and it rolls up into a duffel when not in use, along with the top sheet and a blanket. I found it to be pretty comfortable. I didn't feel the need to cut it to shape, the corners at the bow just turn up a little. A Full also fits my pull out berth in the salon nicely.

The 4 inch seemed a little too bulky, I don't sleep on the boat all that much. But man, that must be comfortable! I probably wouldn't want to get out of bed.

Minnewaska 09-06-2012 07:20 AM

A regular sheet still fits over the 4" topper, since the boat mattress is thinner than a home mattress. Together, they are about the same thickness. If its a problem, you can get deep pocket fitted bottom sheets anywhere, including Target, Wallyworld, etc.

We sleep on the boat often. Approx 80 nights since April already, so having a comfortable mattress is important. We keep the bed made all the time.

Ranthra 09-06-2012 03:31 PM

I replaced the foam mattress on our last boat, with 2" of memory foam added to the top before re-covering. It was OK. On our current boat, I just ordered the "Tufted Topper" and it is great. Very comfortable and fits perfectly. They are easy to find on a web search or in sailing magazine ads.

This was also a much cheaper improvement as I kept the existing mattress.

No ties - just a happy customer.

Tim R. 09-06-2012 03:45 PM

2" memory foam topper from Kohls on top of our normal foam. We have slept on it nearly a year now and it has made a huge difference.

travlineasy 09-06-2012 06:00 PM

Can't beat the memory foam. I have a 2-inch layer on top of the old cushions - like sleeping on a cloud.

Gary :cool: