Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
What does it mean that a cold front is passing through?
Cold fronts usually contain gusty wind and rain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
What does it mean that a cold front is passing through?
It generally means thunderstorms this time of year. They are forecast for Saturday. Ironically, I just went to look again and now see a warm front approaching from the south. Its very likely that the tropical system offshore is messing with the models.

Bottom line. Tough conditions for sure, unpredictable to boot. You asked whether they were dangerous. That depends on the attitude and aptitude of the skipper. I think it was Chuck Yeager that said "The superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring superior skill"
Tempest and jameswilson29 like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Wherever this big swell comes into shallow water, you will have uncomfortable conditions, even close in between Block and MV. A swell can really heap up and get weird in BIS both because of the uneven bottom and the rotary current. Although none of the predicted paths has this storm moving closer to Block/NE Coast, it is too close for comfort. Hurricanes have a way of proving meteorologists wrong. Would be wiser to wait it out somewhere with more choices. Maybe run up LIS keeping a constant eye on this storm. If you run inside all the way to Watch Hill, in back of Fishers, it will keep you in range of plenty of bail-out spots. You could even get way up into Narragansett if you really had to (Potters Cove comes to mind). Just give Pt. Jude a wide berth if you go into Narragansett with a big swell running. I would not attempt any of the Islands with this storm out there.

Last edited by smurphny; 09-06-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
But are 9' seas necessarily dangerous-Petercheck
Quote:
What does it mean that a cold front is passing through?- Peterchcek
If you are asking these questions you should not do this trip nor have the experience to deal with the conditions. This is not to disrespect your sailing ability, but I would suggest spending much more time in the LI Sound before venturing offshore getting building experience in dealing with similar conditions such as lee shores, fronts passing through, large wave action in an environment where you at least there you will have a place to bail out of the conditions. Once you beigin the trip on the outside of the south side of Long Island there is NOWHERE safe to pull in should the conditions deteriorate or should you experience equipemnt failure. One thing apparent from your posts is that you are beginning to develope your experience offshore. You should wait until conditions are better for you.

As far as Vineyard Sound and the Nantucket area. The Vineyard Sound has substantial current. when wind and swell oppose current the wave action cant slow a boats progress dramatically as well as make passage making very uincomfortable. Lastly experience wopuld warn you away fromn going ftrom deep water to shallow water with a large swell running. Thats exactly what you would be doing in Muskeget Channel with the surrounding ocean 100s of feet deep and areas with in the channel 20 feet deep. This will compress the swells and dramtically rtaise them possible creating breakin waves. Having traveled this route to Nantucket before this approach should be done in good and ideal conditions not with any type of storm offshopre generating large swell over a long fetch. Approaching Nantucket from the "backside" from MV is a more measured and safer approach in most conditions.

Knowing Brad ( Bene505), he sails from Montaulk in larger conditions than you usually do, with much more experience with a much larger and heavier boat/ If he wont go it will not make sense to argue or even question his decision.

Having just taking this trip in a 35 C&C MKIII two weeks ago coming down the Jersey Coast, we experienced 6 foot seas and 20-30 knot winds on the nose. The trip was tiring and not dangerous at all, but a bit exhausting and we have plenty of offshore experience as well as a heavier boat. We averaged 5 knots SOG on our tacks. Progress down the Jersey Coast however was slow. Where we had planned on averaging 60 miles per day we could only average 30. Even though you would be traveling more of a beam/ broad rfeach to the wave action, at 9 foot swell it will be mighty uncomfortable for you and your crew.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-06-2012

arja is on a distinguished road

You have received good counsel on cancelling a trip along the south side of Long Island from NYC to Montauk given the anticipated sea conditions. A wise man would follow it.

If you do chose to go eastward through Long Island Sound, you can enjoy a fine sail until you pass the Race, at which time you should anticipate swells increasing from the seaway between Montauk and Block Island as you progress into Block Island Sound. Ocean swells will affect your passage the further east you proceed and the closer you get to Block.

I own a 1967 Hinckley Bermuda 40 aft cabin yawl that I keep at Brewer Cowessett in upper west Narraganset Bay. The only time I have had green water in the cockpit was a passage west to east from Stonington, Ct to Point Judith and onward up the west passage of Narraganset Bay while a hurricane was way off shore. Block Island Sound is not protected in the same way as Long Island Sound. Similarly, once into Rhode Island Sound heading east to Cuttyhunk, and Martha's Vineyard, this is also unprotected sea which can and does become quite challenging.

Chest harnesses, safety equipment including straps and safety deck lines to clip into are not only wise, but quite important, with no crew member on deck with being strapped in. And while the anticipated route of a hurricane is a nice prediction, it is only that. Last year all transitient vessels in Great Salt Pond (west entrance) and Old Harbor (east side) of Block Island were required to leave prior to the hurricane.

So if you venture out, please plan for safety and know where you can safely weather the storm away from your home mooring/dock. 9 feet of waves at sea can be exhausting and worse. Be safe....
Old 09-06-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

8'-10' seas in themselves aren't a problem. The problem is when these seas hit shallow waters, they stack up like cordwood & the waters south of the Vineyard are pretty shallow.

It's looking like it's going to be one of those weekends that the flags will be starched. Best to stay put & have some cocktails.
Old 09-06-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

The most current GRIB. shows it building to 30 knots saturday night about 10 PM and getting back to something a bit tamer by Sunday after it passes through

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 09-06-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

The NOAA wind/wave forecast found here: Radiofax Charts - Boston
shows 2 meter waves on the south shore of LI.
There are also 2 separate H'canes in the Atlantic creating swells. I'd imagine that would help create some confused waves out there.
I'd take the advice you have been given by some of the heavyweights who have already chimed in.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-06-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll def take the sound then. I'm really glad I convinced my father to get a 50% "storm" jib for the trip, looks like we may need it. If we leave sat morning we should get to block by sunday morning, with all the wind thats predicted. Once we clear montauk, is the stretch between the sound and block island somewhat protected at that point? I would like to get some experience in bigger seas, at least for a 30 mile fast reach, if it's not too dangerous. If not I can always overnight in the sound though...

Will the approach to great salt pond be safe, seems like it would be on the lee of the swells/wind...
Old 09-06-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Crew is one German who has sailed in the Baltic sea quite a bit, two relatively new sailors, and myself. I practice heaving to regularly, read a lot and race a lot but like some here know I want to build offshore experience. I've trimmed a kite in 20 knots windassuring down 4' swells on a 25' keelboat during a 25 mile distance race, and I've been out in some minor squalls off coney island with the current ripping against 25 knot southerly winds, but never had green water over the deck. So I'm looking to slowly up the ante, but I agree that the sound is the way to go this time