Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?

No, the stretch between Montauk and Block is not protected. At all. In fact, long before our get to Block, you could get nasty seas near the race.

I'm trying to think of a polite way of asking if you've reviewed a chart and looked at weather briefing. It does not seem you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

If you look at a chart of the waters between Block Island and Montauk you notice that there really is no protection from ocean swells. "Block Island Sound" is almost a misnomer in that Block Island does not create a protected 'sound' the way that Long Island does. BI Sound is essentially the ocean for all intents and purposes.

As you say though, you could venture out into this stretch of water to check it out and decide whether you are up for a 30 mile transit, or decide to turn around for more protected waters.

Keep an ear on the NOAA VHF WX station for wind and wave height reports.

Waves have a way of bending around islands so I'm not sure about the entrance to the Great Salt Pond.

Have fun!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Minnewaska has it exactly right....

Simply put, you can call it what you want..but the Block Island Sound..is the Atlantic Ocean.
as is the crossing from Block to Vinyard sound...
The race can be a daunting place on a good day. Get any fog and you're doing it blind.
I'm not suggesting that you don't go sailing..but you should be prepared to be flexible, and know where you can duck in to, should you need to.
Old 09-06-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Unless you time your exit at the race at slack, ( there always seems to be current) going out, and coming back..could be painfully slow.
Most of us probably try to ride the currents out; once out, turning around and coming back you could find yourself doing less than 2 kn over ground...against a stiff current
Old 09-06-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch

This may help you. I was concerned about Leslie on Monday hitting me here in Nova Scotia but the track is now well to the east. We will get swells but nothing horrendous.

c_witch
Attached Thumbnails
Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?-leslietrack.jpg  
Old 09-06-2012

endevour is on a distinguished road

I would either wait for a better weather window, or head through the LI sound.... The south shore had 7' swells today, sat is supposed to be bigger swells combined with gusts around 30+ outa the south, making it even choppier.....
Old 09-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Thanks for all the advice!

I'll def take the sound then. I'm really glad I convinced my father to get a 50% "storm" jib for the trip, looks like we may need it. If we leave sat morning we should get to block by sunday morning, with all the wind thats predicted. Once we clear montauk, is the stretch between the sound and block island somewhat protected at that point? I would like to get some experience in bigger seas, at least for a 30 mile fast reach, if it's not too dangerous. If not I can always overnight in the sound though...

Will the approach to great salt pond be safe, seems like it would be on the lee of the swells/wind...
I gotta tell you, I would not be be planning to make this passage with the current forecast. It does not sound like you have a good grasp of the area or the conditions that the area can produce. If there are 30 knots of onshore wind with a hurricane-induced swell running, you don't want to be out there.

Please read the top part about wave height. This is the offshore forecast but is closer to what will be happening in Block I Sound and vicinity.

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...083&syn=anz080

Last edited by smurphny; 09-07-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added link
Old 09-07-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
No, the stretch between Montauk and Block is not protected. At all. In fact, long before our get to Block, you could get nasty seas near the race.

I'm trying to think of a polite way of asking if you've reviewed a chart and looked at weather briefing. It does not seem you have.
I am usually try to be very humble on this forum, and I take the advice here very seriously. I have certainly read the charts, many times, and it is painfully obvvious that the space between mantauk and block island is fully exposed to the expected southerly swell. However several posters mentioned the potential hazards of mv and nantucket, but did not even mention the stretch between li and bi. I guess I figured I might have missed something.

Last edited by peterchech; 09-07-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Peterchech,

Now why would you want to put yourself & others in harms way?
By others I'm refering to those other than your crew that may have to be involved
in a rescue if things go badly for you.
Old 09-07-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Peterchech,

Now why would you want to put yourself & others in harms way?
By others I'm refering to those other than your crew that may have to be involved
in a rescue if things go badly for you.

Come on let's not exagerate please, don't try to tell me that anyone who goes sailing this weekend will have to be rescued. Especially in the sound, 25 knots winds and 2-3' seas are not exactly rare and dangerous...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.