Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane leslie coming north, need I be concerned?

It looks as if the hurricane is staying farther offshore than predicted. It is almost realistically out of the picture except for the outer winds and swell. Looking at the wfax maps, it looks as if it could really HONK about 48 hours out. That large Canadian high coming down and 30+ knots of wind in the outer bands of the hurricane could spell trouble. I would think they will likely create some very high winds in the trough between them. The south side of LIS could get pretty wild until it blows through. A place I have often anchored in a north wind is right up against the beach immediately to the west about 1/4 mile inside PJ harbor. There is lots of distance to the lee shore there in case you slip and the bar to block the wind. If the wind shifts south, you can just relocate close to the Poquott beach on the other side. You'll probably have company there but there is usually plenty of room. There is also a mooring field right behind you that you could grab in a pinch. The holding is excellent in dense sandy clay and mud. Conscience Bay and Setauket Harbor are also good choices but you really need local knowledge. They are jammed with boats on moorings.
Old 09-07-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Let's say you wind up with breakers coming up the Atlantic in the 8' range. That's going to be "offshore experience" in a 32'er for sure. Not impossible, not dangerous, but a rough ride and everyone may want to give thought to serious seasickness meds well before heading out, because it will be a rough wet ride.

More importantly, there is NO bailout on the south shore of Long island. None of the inlets is safe under those conditions, so you've got over a hundred miles of lee shore to deal with, so you've got to be sure before you head out, that you want to do this.

Tt can be done and done safely, I'm just saying you'll be having a 'training mission' instead of a vacation. OTOH going up and out LIS instead will give you a much smoother trip, and you'll still have "weather" experience once you get out to the east end and beyond.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
The Sand Hole is not far from where the 34' Silverton capsized on July 4th this year drowning 3 children.

I have the utmost respect for Jon Eisberg and I know that he has many more miles under his keel then I can ever hope to achieve, BUT I would not recommend using the Sand Hole in anything less then ideal conditions. There is a rock jetty at the entrance that sort of shows on that chart snippet but I would not trust the depth readings.
Back in June a local sailor who had been going there for 25 years holed his O'Day 37' on these rocks: O'Day 37 1982 Total Loss - SailboatOwners.com
CTL.

The best thing about the Sand Hole is that it is right off the Sound so you don't waste a lot of time looking for shelter several miles into the harbors. It is a beautiful spot too but with so many other places to anchor (inside Oyster Bay, Huntington Bay etc.) that are easy and safe to get to and protected I'd stay away.
Thanks for the kind words, Caleb, but your recommendation may very well be the better one, in this case...

Perhaps I should have clarified mine, I was assuming he'd be arriving at Lloyd Neck when the breeze would still be out of the south, and of course in daylight... Even with a good breeze blowing, I can't imagine the entrance posing much of a problem, but again it's probably been 6-8 years since the last time I was in there, perhaps things have changed...

One thing I do like about the Sand Hole for a frontal passage, with only the low spit of sand between you and the Sound, it's easy to assess the conditions outside after the wind goes NW... Anchored back up inside some of the bays, that's often more difficult to do, and it's much easier to get fooled by what's really going on in the open Sound untill you're out there...

The Sand Hole is more ideally suited for riding out a blow from anywhere from the S to NE... I once hunkered down in there for about 36 hours during a big northeaster years ago, it was amazing with all the high ground around how relatively still it was in there... It's a beautiful spot, especially during the off season, or if you happen to have it to yourself...
chef2sail and CalebD like this.
Old 09-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We just spent time in the anchorage described by cmurphy. Great spot with good holding. Depths hold strong right up to the beach. Lots of room for plenty of other boats.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-08-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Come on let's not exagerate please, don't try to tell me that anyone who goes sailing this weekend will have to be rescued. Especially in the sound, 25 knots winds and 2-3' seas are not exactly rare and dangerous...
Just heard that a twister rolled along the shore front of NYC.
How do you like me now

Sorry, couldn't help myself....
Old 09-08-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

25.6 knots sustained 36 knot gusts as of 5PM western sound buoy and more coming

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-08-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Any native New Yorker can tell you, we don't have tornados, that's why we don't live in Kansas, over on the mainland.

Well, until around 1988 that was true. No tornados near NYC in living memory and damned few damned far upstate nowhere near recently.

And then, global warming started. Argue all you will about how or why but the wx has changed radically in the last 30 years. Tornados "never" happened in NYC and now they are happening regularly.

There were tornado watches or warnings for two boroughs today followed by thunderstorm watches or warnings (I never keep the two clear) making it a day when anyone who casts off really ought to keep a weather eye out. Or consider staying ashore and taking in a movie, in a bunker.
Old 09-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Yes, the Finger Lakes in NY were cut by glaciers and the Dakotas used to be under a sea bed. The planet has been warming for a long long time. Let's keep this about how literally foolish is has now proven to be to be out on LI Sound later this evening.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Wel let's hope the OP who was hell bent on gaining off shore experience listened and ducked in somewhere on the Sound where he eventually decided to go and didn't risk his crew.

We had tornados and sustained 30 knott winds with gusts higher all afternoon proceeding the COLD front passage.

Dave

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-08-2012

Well technically, a tornado wil lnever harm you if you are out on a boat. Once it passes the high tide mark and comes out over the water, that's a waterspout.

And I can't help but think about Darwin if anyone wants to sail while one is predicted.