SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Outboards for sailboat

9K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  rbh1515 
#1 ·
I''m buying a 26'' sailboat. Need to buy an outboard. Any advise on what brand. I''m looking for a 4-5hp long shaft. Any brands people have had really good or really bad experience with. Also trying to decide on 2 or 4 cycle. I know the 4 cycle is a lot cleaner, but the 2 cycle weighs less for most brands (~10 lbs less), you never have to worry about changing oil and I''m not worried about efficiency (and I''m not in California). I''m just going in and out from the slip for daysailing. Is there a big difference in noise between 2 and 4 cycle?

#28 ·
I had my maiden voyage on my Colgate 26 today. My Yamaha 4 stroke 4hp worked great. Pushed the boat right along and was very quiet with minimal vibration. Pretty good for a 50 lb motor pushing a 2600 lb Colgate 26. The level of the gas in the internal tank barely budged. Also, the Colgate 26 was fantastic to sail--was incredibly fast and comfortable. Good combination.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.