Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012
Armchair Sailor(Sea Of C)

Armchair Sailor is on a distinguished road
Water Cooled Air Conditioners For Sailboats?

I was reading an interesting thread about types of useful air conditioners for boats in the summer heat sailnet. com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/89598-no-c-when-motoring.html

There was no mention of using (naturally) water cooling for sailboat air conditioners. Does anyone have any experience with water cooled air conditioners on boats?
Old 09-07-2012

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
Re: Water Cooled Air Conditioners For Sailboats?

I'm not sure what you have been reading but any airconditioning unit on sail boats I've seen are all water cooled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

My marine air systems units are raw water cooled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-07-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

I think armchair sailor was curious about using raw water for cooling in lieu of a compressor/evaporator coil that uses freon.

There was a discussion on this subject over the summer. Some folks say they have used or have know someone that uses "yankee" air conditioning. Typical ac units have a discharge air temperature of 55-60 degrees @ 95 degree outdoor temperature up here in New England.

Bottom line, if the water is cold enough you can condition the air with raw water, but as the water temperture rises, the a/c discharge air temp also rises.
Old 09-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Shallow water temps easily get up into the 70s in Southern New England, which would do nearly nothing if just run through coils to heat exchange with the air. However, Armchair lists their location as Cal, which may be California? I believe water temps are cooler there, although, maybe not in shallow water.

Still, I would sooner install a bunch of 12v fans around the boat than spend the money on raw water to air heat exchanger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-07-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Raw water reverse cycle A/C is pretty standard. In cold water areas it's possible that you might get enough cooling just from the raw water without a refrigerant compressor to remove the heat.

The Delaware River peaks at around 85 degrees mid-summer, which even makes it difficult for reverse-cycle air conditioners to keep up. The guy who used to have his boat two slips up from me figured out a clever workaround: he hooked up the marina's fresh water system to the intake of his reverse cycle system. Then the marina got the $3000 water bill and went looking for where all the water was going. That's why he no longer has his boat there - he got kicked out.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-07-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

The problem with raw water AC, in lieu of freon, etc. systems is the heat exchange cycle which normally requires a 15°F 'approach temperature' - the resultant temperature of the max. cooling will only be 15° warmer than the inlet temperature of cooling water. eg.: If the inlet water is 70 degrees, the 'best' output from the AC will be 85°.

Normal AC and refrigeration uses the expansion of pressurized/compressed gases which subcools the air and that takes 'energy' to so.
Old 09-07-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Well, what about in a place like on Lake Michigan? The water probably doesn't get much warmer than mid 50's at about 30' depth. The summer temps get near 100. Is there some passive way (no electricity) of getting that cold water up to the boat?
Old 09-07-2012
Armchair Sailor(Sea Of C)

Armchair Sailor is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Water Cooled Air Conditioners For Sailboats?

Thanks for all replies. I now found several vendors for water cooled marine air conditioners such as this marinaire. com/Marine_air_conditioner_p/msba6k2.htm
and this aquaair. net/SSIG_Self_Contained_Units__80706-11.pdf

They make smaller and more efficient units now. The prices for the smallest 5000 BTU units seem to be around $1500 after you include the water pump.
Old 09-08-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Boat AC seems to use such crappy tech. Its the same old compressor/condensor as land based systems when boats have access to the worlds biggest heat sink. You'd think somebody would make an absorption/type of AC using the ocean as the heat sink
There are actually zeolite based AC systems for buildings where heat is used to remove the water from the zeolite. Normally, boats have access to almost unlimited sunlight too for heating it. Somebody needs to combine these into a good small marine AC.

Tags
air conditioners , water cooled

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.