Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012

delite is on a distinguished road
MOB systems

I have been giving a lot of thought lately to recovering a MOB. Thankfully its not something I have had to do but clearly I should know how. In light winds it seems rather straight forward assuming the person is not injured. Drop my boarding ladder off the stern and they can climb back on. But what about in heavy seas and high winds? Things like a sling that attach to your boom seem less than useless in these circumstances and appear to present significant danger to those attempting the recovery.

What are you using in high winds and rough seas? Is it better to use a halyard than a block attached to the boom. How quickly can you deploy your system? If you were sailing with your family could they get you back on board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: MOB systems

There is a lot of conjecture about this and everyone has his/her opinion. I think the important thing is to figure out what works for you and your boat and then practice it.

This is the best information that I have found -

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/fin...L%20REPORT.pdf
MedSailor likes this.
Old 09-07-2012

Thanks for that. Some good info. I also found this video on youtube. It appears recovery can require significant effort by the victim. It could be ugly if the person is injured or unconscious
MOB retrieval and recovery - YouTube
Old 09-07-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Everybody and boat is different and what may be appropriate for one might not work for the other. I was part of a MOB recovery a few years back on SF Bay. Cold water really saps a swimmer’s energy and we figure that in the first 15 minutes the MOB is an active participant in the rescue and after that, they won’t be able to aide much in their rescue. My rescue was a MOB off another race boat (we were right behind and in an ideal position). We picked him up on the first pass and although he was a service member in his twenties and not long in the water, he was shocked enough not able enough to help much in his recovery. We manhandled him up over the side and into the cockpit. Over the stern is dangerous as it is heaving up and down in any type of swell. I’d hate to be caught under a stern in bad conditions.

I double hand extensively with my spouse and MOB is something I do worry about. I’m concerned about her panicking so I’ve tried to make it a simple process. We have a MOM8 so all she has to do is “pull the pin” instead of heaving a horseshoe and MOB pole. She then releases the Lifesling. During the rescue of the Pterodactyl crew, it was reported that it takes a little time for the Lifesling to trail out behind the boat so our process is to deploy before doing the “quickstop” maneuver. Again, we use the “quickstop” because of its simplicity and that my spouse just has to blow the jibsheet at the top of the tack. Once capturing the MOB in the lifesling, our plan is to use a primary winch (we have 48’s) to retrieve the MOB. I made a block and tackle in a quickly deployable bag that can easily be attached to the boom then to the MOB (we have a sugar scoop stern.) But frankly, I think that she’ll be grinding me up over the stern.
Old 09-07-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

IF and it's A big IF they get the lifesling on the next hard part is hooking them up to a halyard as we have found it to be the best for getting them back onboard

The boom deal is a PITA as your dealing with a wildly floging mainsail

The real focus should be on jacklines and harness discipline as just even keeping somebody in eyesight in rough water is a bid problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I tell my sailing students that one of the best reasons to learn the bowline is to make a loop to get under "Oscar's" arms, then to a halyard that can be led to a winch.

Or to tie a halyard into a lifesling if there is one.

Also many sailing books don't teach the quick-stop, but only the figure-8. Given the time and weather, I try to teach both.
Old 09-07-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

We periodically hold MOB drills as part of a race during the summer. Each boat is issued a watermelon. The Race Committee radios for them to be put over the side sometime during the race, and you have to pick it up again (no harnesses or boathooks!) before completing the race. Each boat needs a setup that works for them. We've found the quickstop maneuver to work well. Even under spinnaker in 15 knots of breeze, we've been able to be back at the "victim" within 45 seconds. Our boat has running backstays with 4:1 tackle that we can then attach to a harness or line(s) tied under the MOB to get them aboard over the lee rail.
Old 09-07-2012

45 seconds is very impressive. Clearly this is a drill that we all should be practicing and hoping we never need to use. I'm leaning towards rigging something to a halyard. That seems less likely to cause anyone injury than the boom.
Old 09-08-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I too am concerned about boarding over the stern and opted for a side mount ladder. To my dismay, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that if there is any current at all the ladder will lift out of its brackets when the swimmer takes hold of it. We executed the quick stop after the swimmer jumped in. There was a tidal current running against us (probably a half knot) and the swimmer had to swim pretty aggressively to get to the Type IV and then when we pulled him to the ladder, one bracket released as soon as he grabbed it. We were in pretty smooth water, the wind was about 12kts and it was much more difficult that I would have expected. Keeping the ladder in the bracket is now a priority. Any suggestions?
Old 09-08-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
I too am concerned about boarding over the stern and opted for a side mount ladder. To my dismay, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that if there is any current at all the ladder will lift out of its brackets when the swimmer takes hold of it. We executed the quick stop after the swimmer jumped in. There was a tidal current running against us (probably a half knot) and the swimmer had to swim pretty aggressively to get to the Type IV and then when we pulled him to the ladder, one bracket released as soon as he grabbed it. We were in pretty smooth water, the wind was about 12kts and it was much more difficult that I would have expected. Keeping the ladder in the bracket is now a priority. Any suggestions?
We are planning to get a canvas or dacron triangle, about 10' on a side, with grommets & snapshackes on the corners. We'd attach two of the corners to our stanchion bases and drop the other end over the side the "victim" is on. Then the "victim is placed in the bunt of the triangle, and lifting tackle (attached to our running backstay) is secured to the third corner. Hoisting on the tackle holds the victim close to the boat, lifts him up, and essentially deposits him on deck, even if he's unconscious.
Flybyknight likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.